Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo just blew on my 06 6.0...I dont really want to put back in a stock turbo...does anyone know about the aftermarket turbos out there...which ones are the best etc...thank you

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A lot depends on your mods and what you use the truck for. If it is a truck with a few mods such as a programer, intake and exhaust I suggest an 03 turbo or a II stage 1 vgt. A good used stage 1 turbo will run 1400 new and around 900 used. A good used 03 turbo will be a tad lower. Fill out your signature so the rest of the forum members can respond and better assist you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sorry I just filled it out...but its an 06 350 Lariat... i have a K&N Cold air intake and 6 inch silverline exhaust right now...I use my truck to work out of but I'm not about to put a used turbo in...i dont really want a stock turbo either if the aftermarket turbo are better...im looking to spend some money cause i dont want anymore problems...I would lke to increase my performance in the process...I was just wondering which turbos are good and which are not...and if i need to get the head studs replaced...thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see where alot of people put the 03' turbos in, but didn't those turbo's have more problems than the 04' and newer turbos? And does that gain any performance or is it purely for the louder whistle?

·
Registered
420 Posts
As far as I know the 03-06 all have problems with the vanes sticking the 07 turbos are the turbos that the vanes dont stick.... When it comes to the 03 turbo ive seen people gain an extra 15 maybe 20hp i swap out my 05 turbo for an 03 and i felt a little difference... but yeah your pretty much right the main reason is for the whistle...iam trying to look for a turbo myself thats louder then the 03 turbo and i believe one of the turbo that are louder is the stage 1 VGT hybird or stage 2 but iam not sure

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes the stage I and II are louder. Also there are aftermarket vgt solinoids available that really help the vanes to not stick. Also having a oil bypass sys help prevent the sticking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts