Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just installed a turbo timer on my 2005 6.0 what is a good EGT to have the timer set to shut engine down? It can also be programmed to Time, but I think the egt would be better.Thanks for the help!!:icon_ford:

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would do around 340egts

Sent from the moon

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have mine set at 390*F.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
What's the name of that timer I have wanting to do this to . How much was it ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its an EDGE product about 160.00

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
im getting one!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
The timer is a nice feature to have in a tuner but if you park inside closed in parking garages they do not allow extended idling. This is why I have a electric pre-lube pump that stays on for up to six minutes after I turn off the engine to cool the turbo, plus when I hit the remote start it pressures up the oil system just before the engine starts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
350* EGT.. depending on your oil your running higher will increase the chances of oil cooking and coating the turbo so i've been told.. so i've stuck with 350* and i run T6

·
Registered
627 Posts
The timer is a nice feature to have in a tuner but if you park inside closed in parking garages they do not allow extended idling. This is why I have a electric pre-lube pump that stays on for up to six minutes after I turn off the engine to cool the turbo, plus when I hit the remote start it pressures up the oil system just before the engine starts.

That's interesting! Can you post some more details about your setup?

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
It's a 12volt oil pump that draws oil from the bottom of the oil pan where the drain plug use to be then pumps it into the billet oil filter cap. I didn't use the rubber hose that came with pump but used two 1/2" SS braided Swage-Loc hoses for the discharge and suction. It makes changing oil a stand up job :) . I'll post a picture of the pump which I have mounted where my vacuum canister use to be later.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's a 12volt oil pump that draws oil from the bottom of the oil pan where the drain plug use to be then pumps it into the billet oil filter cap. I didn't use the rubber hose that came with pump but used two 1/2" SS braided Swage-Loc hoses for the discharge and suction. It makes changing oil a stand up job :) . I'll post a picture of the pump which I have mounted where my vacuum canister use to be later.
Maybe I don't quite understand this correctly so let me ask a few questions.
If all it does is pump oil from the oilpan to the filler neck, how does it pressurise the system? How does it cool the turbo?
Please help me understand this because it sounds to me like all it does is circulate oil from the bottom to the top.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Oh never mind disregard last post. I thought it said oil filler cap not oil filter. Maybe its time to have eyes checked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Well here is the picture of the pump so it'll give you an idea of its size. Sorry for the crap iPhone picture quality.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
That's a really good idea, did you buy this as a kit or did you make it?

I was looking into the turbo timer from edge but this sounds better, no wasted fuel.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's a really good idea, did you buy this as a kit or did you make it?

I was looking into the turbo timer from edge but this sounds better, no wasted fuel.
how would it not waste fuel?

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
how would it not waste fuel?
A tuner with the turbo timer option keeps the motor running for a certain amount of time or in some cases, until the temperature drops to a specific temperature, burning fuel. The pre-lube system I have on my truck turns on after I shut off my engine pumping oil through the turbo for a up to six minutes, cooling off the turbo. So less fuel is used to accomplish the same end result. To answer the previous post, yes it was a kit. Just do a search on the Internet for engine pre-lube systems as the place I bought mine over fifteen years ago isn't around anymore. There is a company that makes engine pre-lube systems mainly for commercial engines that has several sizes of pumps but I have the link at work. Sure makes changing my oil a simple operation, hook up hose to "T" on pump, put end of hose into five gallon bucket, wait just a couple minutes, done. No mess, no crawling around on ground under my truck and having to drag out a drain pan full of oil that I need to somehow lift and transfer into the same pail without spilling. LOL

·
Registered
559 Posts
From most of you don't know something like 80% of all engine wear happens at start up. Because the motor cranks be for it has oil pressure. Or if it sat long enough oil on the bearing at all

Sent from the moon

·
Registered
365 Posts
now i got two questions, how does it lube through the turbo? kinda seems like it just cycles the oil from top to bottom?
and with it hanging off the oil pan at the bottom must be atleast half an inch would this be a hazard going through the bush or offroading?

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
now i got two questions, how does it lube through the turbo? kinda seems like it just cycles the oil from top to bottom?
and with it hanging off the oil pan at the bottom must be atleast half an inch would this be a hazard going through the bush or offroading?
It pressures up the oil gallery and since it can't go backwads through the stock pump very much it goes basically the normal path. It gets to about 4 psi on my engine oil pressure gauge. As for hanging down, it is closer to to an inch but the adapter is made of steal so it's pretty strong but I plan on some day going through the top of the upper oil pan just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
365 Posts
by top of upper pan what do you mean?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts