Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working the overtime and saving the pennies to go ahead and do a turbo upgrade while i go in and replace the plenums. Not looking for wild and have read alot about the kc38r. I want to have it work with the stock injectors and later, injector upgrade. Opinions on the move in this direction would be helpful. I believe the list of upgrades is current. Along with a quicker spool a bit lower egt would be nice.

php tuner
ebv delete
ww2
woods valve body
riffraff x over
riffraff hpf return and spring
4" full mbrp

·
Registered
639 Posts
Head over to KC turbos, they have a lot of great options for stock injectors up to stage 3 hybrids

Their KC300x 63/73 should work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Not many aftermarket turbos will spool quicker than a stock turbo with a billet wheel. You really don't need anything more than the stock turbo until you get bigger injectors.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
e-mailed KC and they recommended a kc300x 63/68/.84. Have to research that one, thought i was on the right track with the 38r. So the question i have is what does the end reading (.84) meen? Probably something i should know but have never understood. What is every ones thought on this turbo as i start my search..

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
First off why replace the plenums?? Unless they are damaged you are wasting money IMHO. Contact KC turbo's, they hooked my up with what I'd call a entry level turbo that has turned my F-350 dually into a towing beast. Great spool up, low EGT's and some impressive boost numbers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What turbo did you get? I already had the plenums, been sittin around here for awhile, just need to do them.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone explain what the last two numbers actually mean? The .84 and I think I have seen 1.0 housing. I don't believe I have read any explanation about this.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The .84 housing will spool faster, and the 1.0 will have lower EGT's

Reactions: peixinho

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed, had time a couple of weeks ago to do the plenums and turbo upgrade. Haven't put a lot of miles on it and with camping season over for the year it will be next spring before I can really see what difference it makes. Just running down the road unloaded I am seeing right around 2 psi increase at cruise and it will jump over 25+ a lot faster. I did go ahead with the kc300x

·
Registered
70 Posts
e-mailed KC and they recommended a kc300x 63/68/.84. Have to research that one, thought i was on the right track with the 38r. So the question i have is what does the end reading (.84) meen? Probably something i should know but have never understood. What is every ones thought on this turbo as i start my search..
The numbers at the end (either .84 or 1.0 on a drop-in turbo) is the A/R (area/radius ratio) of the exhaust housing. The smaller ratio (.84) will be a tighter (more restriction) housing that will make it spool up faster, but will suffer some on the top end. The 1.0 is "looser" and will allow more airflow up top and keep EGT's lower at higher rpm/load, but will be slightly more laggy. The choice of housing will depend on setup/injectors/tire size/gearing/use of truck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
exactly what i was wanting to know. I figured it was a clearance number for it somewhere. When i unboxed it and saw the 1.0 on the compressor housing i was beginning to wonder if i got what i ordered. I did call to ck but still wondered what it actually meant. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
exactly what i was wanting to know. I figured it was a clearance number for it somewhere. When i unboxed it and saw the 1.0 on the compressor housing i was beginning to wonder if i got what i ordered. I did call to ck but still wondered what it actually meant. Thank you very much.
Keep in mind ALL 7.3 compressor covers have a 1.0ar ratio. (that is the aluminum side).

It is the turbine housing that changes. .84, 1.0, and 1.15 options are available.

They are explained in simple terms what the "a/r" ratio means... but here is a great link in case you want to learn a little more. It can get very confusing.

https://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced Engine Tuning/AR turbo ratio explained.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts