Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will an '05 and newer turbo fit an '03 just by changing the pedestal? Will the CAC pipe/intake connections be the same?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Yes a 05 turbo will fit on a 03 motor, you don't even need to change the pedastal if you don't want to. If you choose to use the 03 pedastal, you won't use the bolt in the rear where it mounts the turbo to pedastal.

The only external differences between the two turbos is the rear bolts. The red circles are the rear bolts for the 05, the blue circle is the rear bolt for the 03.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Are you getting rid of an "03 turbo? ;)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the informative response, Lilpooh.

To DEVER02, my '03 turbo has burnt vanes and turbine wheel and I want to get an MTW Stage 1, but because Adrian has a shortage of cores, I want to send him one up front. I don't want to take mine out and have my truck down in the mean time, so I'm looking for a core. I have a possible line on an '05 turbo to send him, so that's why I was asking if that one would work on my truck. When it's all said and done, I may have my '03 available for a core.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
oh ok. I have a 5005 turbo with 7000 miles on it i was going to offer to trade. I want the noise of an 03

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
An 05 turbo WILL NOT simply bolt onto an 03 engine. Because of the configuation of the rear bolt, vertical on the 05 and horizontal on the 03, the 05 turbo will not fit onto the 03 pedestal without cutting either the pedestal or the turbine hosing of the turbo. The 05 pedestal cannot be bolted onto the 03 engine because the pedestal will interfere with the intake manifold crossover, so you would have to cut the pedestal or swap to and 05 manifold without the crossover.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
An 05 turbo WILL NOT simply bolt onto an 03 engine. Because of the configuation of the rear bolt, vertical on the 05 and horizontal on the 03, the 05 turbo will not fit onto the 03 pedestal without cutting either the pedestal or the turbine hosing of the turbo. The 05 pedestal cannot be bolted onto the 03 engine because the pedestal will interfere with the intake manifold crossover, so you would have to cut the pedestal or swap to and 05 manifold without the crossover.
Oh chit! My head was up my whoowhoo! Thanks for the correction!

OP, sorry for the mis-info I provided.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
Oh chit! My head was up my whoowhoo! Thanks for the correction!

OP, sorry for the mis-info I provided.

Haha no worries, happens to the best of us :thumb:

Although I am not sure I want to know what one's whoowhoo is... :look:

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
ding ding, we have a winner! :thumb:

I wouldn't even try to set an 05 turbo onto a modified 03 pedestal. the way the 03 sits sandwiched into it's pedestal won't work with an 05. There won't be any support in the rear and I'd imagine it would stress the collared bolts a lot.

Also the 03 pedestals are known to be more flimsy than the later ones. the ears kind of suck together as it's tightened down

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, a little confusion there, but it seems to be cleared up now. Thanks, TwoMuch03 for chiming in. Anyway, I won't have to deal with that issue now, as I think I've found a used '03 turbo. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts