Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

turbo surge

4K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
My turbo makes a fluttering noise when i let off the pedal real quick, is this turbo surge, if so, what can i do to fix this issue, i was thinking a bigger turbo but i'm not sure. I have a ts performance 6 pos flip chip and a k&n intake. getting ready for head studs later on and tranny valve upgrade but i need the turbo to function properly first. any help would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
well, i do need the head studs to keep them from loosening up and flying off the engine since i'm pulling 37psi according to my autometer gauges, maybe my truck is just a wonder i dunno, but i cut out the muffler and filled that space in with straight pipe and no cat at all, and it pulls 37psi like it sits. i run 13's-14's in the 1/4 and can hit 103mph on the on ramp before getting on the interstate. i know it has turbo surge but i don't know what to do about it, either a wicked wheel or a bigger turbo i guess.

#5 ·
holy crap 37 psi with the stock turbo is alot i have heard 30 is pushing it

#7 ·
thats what i thought the fins would be through the hood but i am not to tell anybody anything with out seeing it

#8 ·
i'd be lying if i said i get it to hold at 37psi but it does get to it pretty easily and then goes back down to around 25 on the interstate and around 10 in the city. as far as i know i've done the foil delete, 4 inch homemade air intake with a 6 x 12 inch K&N, straight pipe exhaust, unplugged the wastegate, added a ts performance 6 pos flip chip with the 150 extreme hp setting, i usually run on the 75hp setting for better mileage and a lil more giddy up, increased fuel preassure mod, i know these turbos are only spec'd out for 30 psi and didn't know my truck would be pullin 37psi so i got scared and my turbo surges when it's up. it does run in the 13-14 second range, pissed off alot mustangs in clarksville tn, and imports as well. now i bought it used from a lot and i don't know whats in the engine other what i've done to it and told you about but, i'm lookin to port the heads and get a bigger turbo to handle it, need a better tranny valve body and torque converter, so thats why i want the heads to be studded, i've read where they have litterally blown off the engine from the preasure

#27 ·
i'd be lying if i said i get it to hold at 37psi but it does get to it pretty easily and then goes back down to around 25 on the interstate and around 10 in the city. as far as i know i've done the foil delete, 4 inch homemade air intake with a 6 x 12 inch K&N, straight pipe exhaust, unplugged the wastegate, added a ts performance 6 pos flip chip with the 150 extreme hp setting, i usually run on the 75hp setting for better mileage and a lil more giddy up, increased fuel preassure mod, i know these turbos are only spec'd out for 30 psi and didn't know my truck would be pullin 37psi so i got scared and my turbo surges when it's up. it does run in the 13-14 second range, pissed off alot mustangs in clarksville tn, and imports as well. now i bought it used from a lot and i don't know whats in the engine other what i've done to it and told you about but, i'm lookin to port the heads and get a bigger turbo to handle it, need a better tranny valve body and torque converter, so thats why i want the heads to be studded, i've read where they have litterally blown off the engine from the preasure

If your wastegate isn't opening up then the boost will increase until the turbo just cant push anymore air. I am not a diesel expert but on Gas this is what will happen if you unplug a wastegate.

#9 ·
well i got the same chip (140 extreme tune) and mine didnt do that as far as i know but i could be wrong
o and try leaving it on the 140 setting when driving around town i got alot better mileage

#11 ·
if your cruising down the interstate at 25psi, something doesnt sound right. I can cruise at 75mph under 10psi of boost. Does the check engine light come on at all? 13.9x is what 450hp trucks are running. I can guarantee without a turbo and injectors, you're not at that level.

#13 ·
WHAT YEAR IS YOUR TRUCK. IF ITS 03 OR NEWER WITH A 6.0 THEN THE NOISE YOU HEAR IS A TURBO FART THERE IS NO WASTEGATE ON THE 6.0. WHEN YOU LET OFF THE PEDAL UNDER HARD ACCELERATION, THE BACK PRESSURE THROUGH THE INTERCOOLER CAUSES THE SOUND. THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR TURBO IN THIS SITUATION, HOWEVER YOU MAY NEED TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR INTERCOOLER BLOWING APART. IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE OVER 30 LBS OF BOOST ON STOCK TURBO, IF IT IS NOT REFLASHED. KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR WATER TANK MAKE SURE IT IS NOT PUKING WATER THROUGH THE LID. MY TRUCK WITH REFLASH STILL PRODUCES 31 LBS OF BOOST WITH REFLASH BUT PRODUCED MORE, OVER 35 BEFORE FLASH. TRUCK RUNS 13.8 WITH PROGRAMMER, EXHAUST AND INTAKE, AND EVERYTHING ELSE STOCK.

#15 ·
thats why i was asking for help, i don't want my truck to tear up on me. I can't leave it on the 140 setting, it boggs down when first taking off on that setting and blows a crapload of black smoke, not sure if thats good for it. and like i said, i don't know if it has stock injectors or not, i bought it used from a lot so i don't know what the previous owner had done to it. all i know is it gets where i wanna go pretty quickly and the turbo farts a little bit on the way.

#16 ·
It boggs down on the 140? somethings wrong.

You cruise around at 25psi? somethings wrong.

37psi on stock turbo and injectors? :shrug: i don't know man...

later

#17 ·
BTW, get the ATS housing for your turbo to completely eliminate surge.~~$425
get the Wicked Wheel compressor wheel to help with the surge~~$75

later

#18 ·
yea, whats the word i'm lookin for here, hesitates is a better word for what it does on the 140 setting, it'll pick up but it takes it a few seconds, like the throttle is sticky or not getting enough air. it is a 200 7.3 and i really don't know what else it has done to it other then what i've already mentioned, i have no reason to lie about it, i just want it to run right without the turbo farting. I'm in afghanistan with the 101st so i can't go and tear it apart to see if it's stock or not, i just dunno, but this is what it was doing when i left clarksville in december. so i need an ats and a wicked wheel, will that fix it?

#21 ·
what are some more mods i can do, i agree with all of you, obviously something somewhere isn't right, i just don't know what it is yet, too much here and not enough there, i dunno but i've given the best info that i can so far i rear that i need an ats housing and a wicked wheel.

#22 ·
You need aboost fooler to stop the SES light. You can rig one up with a pressure regulator, or just buy one from ITP diesel. Or you could fool it electrically with a 4.7v Zener diode... The easiest way that works for sure is to buy one.

And please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to call you a liar, I was insinuating maybe your not on stock injectors and turbo. Maybe you just don't know like you said.

If you do have surge, you don't need the ATS housing and th WW, I was giving you two examples of ways to help with surge...

later

#24 ·
The ATS is a sure fix, the WW works for some, but not others.

Are you defueling, I assume not since you hit those boost #'s. Could the gauge be off?
My first boost gauge I got was bad, sent it back-no problems. My CB radio was interfering with it.

It doesn't sound like what you're describing is turbo surge though, loke planeoldguy said...

#25 ·
nah it doesn't defuel at all, the last time it got up that high it did start a fuel leak at the top of the engine though, i fixed that already, everywhere i'd park there would be apuddle of fuel. well my wife just emailed me and said she got it up to 35psi but it didn't make any kind of fart noise with her, must be my lead foot then. ok so on my to do list i need a boost fooler, and either a wicked wheel or new turbo housing, thanx for the help guys.

#26 ·
I've got a buddy in the 101st airborne right now, but i'm not sure where he is. Is that what you said you were in?

#28 ·
i want to say you have a bad gauge. or you have alot done to your truck that you dont know about.

but more importantly thanks for your service!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.