Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
what are some more mods i can do, i agree with all of you, obviously something somewhere isn't right, i just don't know what it is yet, too much here and not enough there, i dunno but i've given the best info that i can so far i rear that i need an ats housing and a wicked wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
You need aboost fooler to stop the SES light. You can rig one up with a pressure regulator, or just buy one from ITP diesel. Or you could fool it electrically with a 4.7v Zener diode... The easiest way that works for sure is to buy one.

And please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to call you a liar, I was insinuating maybe your not on stock injectors and turbo. Maybe you just don't know like you said.

If you do have surge, you don't need the ATS housing and th WW, I was giving you two examples of ways to help with surge...

later

·
Registered
663 Posts
Try the wicked wheel first, It's all I needed.
I got mine for 44.00 off of ebay, took two hours to install with handtools.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
The ATS is a sure fix, the WW works for some, but not others.

Are you defueling, I assume not since you hit those boost #'s. Could the gauge be off?
My first boost gauge I got was bad, sent it back-no problems. My CB radio was interfering with it.

It doesn't sound like what you're describing is turbo surge though, loke planeoldguy said...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
nah it doesn't defuel at all, the last time it got up that high it did start a fuel leak at the top of the engine though, i fixed that already, everywhere i'd park there would be apuddle of fuel. well my wife just emailed me and said she got it up to 35psi but it didn't make any kind of fart noise with her, must be my lead foot then. ok so on my to do list i need a boost fooler, and either a wicked wheel or new turbo housing, thanx for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
I've got a buddy in the 101st airborne right now, but i'm not sure where he is. Is that what you said you were in?

·
Registered
133 Posts
i'd be lying if i said i get it to hold at 37psi but it does get to it pretty easily and then goes back down to around 25 on the interstate and around 10 in the city. as far as i know i've done the foil delete, 4 inch homemade air intake with a 6 x 12 inch K&N, straight pipe exhaust, unplugged the wastegate, added a ts performance 6 pos flip chip with the 150 extreme hp setting, i usually run on the 75hp setting for better mileage and a lil more giddy up, increased fuel preassure mod, i know these turbos are only spec'd out for 30 psi and didn't know my truck would be pullin 37psi so i got scared and my turbo surges when it's up. it does run in the 13-14 second range, pissed off alot mustangs in clarksville tn, and imports as well. now i bought it used from a lot and i don't know whats in the engine other what i've done to it and told you about but, i'm lookin to port the heads and get a bigger turbo to handle it, need a better tranny valve body and torque converter, so thats why i want the heads to be studded, i've read where they have litterally blown off the engine from the preasure

If your wastegate isn't opening up then the boost will increase until the turbo just cant push anymore air. I am not a diesel expert but on Gas this is what will happen if you unplug a wastegate.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
i want to say you have a bad gauge. or you have alot done to your truck that you dont know about.

but more importantly thanks for your service!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
i'd say there's more done that i don't know about, i talked to some guys on the cummins forum whom also have powerstrokes and they said that it was normal for the 7.3's to be able to push 37psi, they also said during the middle of my production year which is 2000, ford changed the design of the turbo housing to make it create a whirlwind tunnel inside so that may be different then what you guys are used to i dunno, but i'm thinking i need a banks big head wastegate.

·
Registered
222 Posts
plug your wastegate back in and see if that helps.... the guy before you could have adjusted it too...

4th I.D. aviation brigade

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
i'd say there's more done that i don't know about, i talked to some guys on the cummins forum whom also have powerstrokes and they said that it was normal for the 7.3's to be able to push 37psi, they also said during the middle of my production year which is 2000, ford changed the design of the turbo housing to make it create a whirlwind tunnel inside so that may be different then what you guys are used to i dunno, but i'm thinking i need a banks big head wastegate.
I believe they are referring to the switch from the WW to the stock wheel for the late 99's-2003.

The WW everyone goes out to buy is the stock wheel from the 96-early 99's. It is a different design.

The only thing I see different so far is that the WW creates less surge. My boost gauge still reads the same as it did with the OEM wheel in it.

If your pushing 37psi with a stock turbo I think your pushing it to it's limits. Or your boost gauge is off. Most people will say not to go over 30psi with a stock turbo.

·
Registered
738 Posts
asking the cummins forum technical questions about powerstrokes, thats funny. If they're saying 37psi on a stock turbo is normal, please don't take any more advice from them. Ford didn't change anything in the middle of the production year of 2000 other than the radiator and the rods. May not be what we're used to? A lot of people here have 2000's, ain't a special year or anything, it's what I have. You're saying it doesn't defuel at all.....at 25psi, when the check engine light comes on, it is defueling. Unless you have an overboost annihilator of some sort, its defueling. why would you waste money on a banks product? Cummins guys tell you to get that too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am posting to backup the high boost that you are getting. if yours is a 7.3 im not sure, but i had a 2003 6.0 with bully dog trip. dog and out look monitor, straight through exhaust and that all and it would run mid 30s psi, mid 13 quarter mile, high 4 low 5 0-60 mph. it was a beast for a couple of months unil it started leaking oil out of the back of the motor. traded it in for a 06 king ranch that im working on now....industrial injection hybrid turbo, 5" exhaust, k&n intake, bd cross flow injection, 6" lift, 22x12 hulks, 37" kumho, same bully dog, egr eliminated. cant wait to get it all together. doesnt run like the 03 did but it is quit a bit heaver. but yes......that kind of boost and 1/4 time is possible on stock turbo.....at least a 6.0 turbo.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You dont need a banks wastegate, you need to get home again and drive your truck.

I have a feeling your mind is slipping you a bit, there is no way your making 37# boost on stock fuel, just not going to happen. What size is your boost gauge? Autometer makes a 30-35 and 60# versions of the gauges.

More then likely your making 27# which is about right for a MAXED out 7.3 on stock fuel.

You do not need studs, you will be fine until you add injectors and start really pushing 37-42# boost. Where is your boost referance coming from? 37# sounds about right for drive pressures, maybe your boost gauge is on the drive side for some reason...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i am posting to backup the high boost that you are getting. if yours is a 7.3 im not sure, but i had a 2003 6.0 with bully dog trip. dog and out look monitor, straight through exhaust and that all and it would run mid 30s psi, mid 13 quarter mile, high 4 low 5 0-60 mph. it was a beast for a couple of months unil it started leaking oil out of the back of the motor. traded it in for a 06 king ranch that im working on now....industrial injection hybrid turbo, 5" exhaust, k&n intake, bd cross flow injection, 6" lift, 22x12 hulks, 37" kumho, same bully dog, egr eliminated. cant wait to get it all together. doesnt run like the 03 did but it is quit a bit heaver. but yes......that kind of boost and 1/4 time is possible on stock turbo.....at least a 6.0 turbo.

Please add studs to your 6.0 build, or it will puke.:thumb:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.