Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 X w/7.3 and an Evolution II. Also have an S&B intake and a 4" exhaust. I have an intermittent "funny" sound at times ONLY when pulling my camper. Its sort of like a "popping" sound, very hard to describe. Its def. in the turbo realm of things as it wasnt heard pre-mods when towing. Is this the infamous turbo surge? What other possibilities could it be? Fixes? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
turbo surge is like a sputtering whissing sound, and if you have a gauge it will bounce. this doesnt sound like it. but who knows hopefully someone alot smarter then my comes around, which is anyone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It always sounded like a rattle snake to me.
...thats probably more of a better description than what I said, and now that it has been mentioned, thats what it sounds like.

...so, how do you cure it?

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
ATS compressor housing for 100% fix--$400+

Wicked Wheel compressor wheel for a partial fix--$75

Good luck

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
mine makes some strange noises when i am at about 45 ish in od and the tc locked. then i hammer it and you hear the turbo spool and the boost climbs then you her this bark sound or a seal (like ort ort ort, that is my seal impression..)

is that surge? or does yours do that too? i am in level 3 on my evo 2

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Theres a lot of questions here about turbo surge. I think we need a sticky video of it that you can clearly hear. I have seen the one in CSIPSD's sig, and you can't hear it very well IMO.
Anyone got a good one to answer all these members questions about surge??

later

·
Registered
659 Posts
check your ipr it can make noises like that in your injectors

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
yeah thats the one I was talking about. Hard to hear and it does not sound like what some people explain as turbo surge....

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
mine makes some strange noises when i am at about 45 ish in od and the tc locked. then i hammer it and you hear the turbo spool and the boost climbs then you her this bark sound or a seal (like ort ort ort, that is my seal impression..)

is that surge? or does yours do that too? i am in level 3 on my evo 2
What you are describing sounds like turbo bark to me. From what I have read turbo bark will happen when your turbo is trying to suck more air than it can pass. Miine makes a real fast Tss Tss Tss Tss sound until I reach 25-30 psi. I was told it is no big deal

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
mine used to make a cha cha cha sound between shifts, got the ATS housing, now its gone. Ats housing is spendy but it has good resale, in the end if you decide to sell the ats it will only cost you around a 100 clams. Every used one i see sells for 300 or so

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What you are describing sounds like turbo bark to me. From what I have read turbo bark will happen when your turbo is trying to suck more air than it can pass. Miine makes a real fast Tss Tss Tss Tss sound until I reach 25-30 psi. I was told it is no big deal

....i was told it can snap a turbo shaft:dunno:

probably gonna throw a gt38r or TN BB in it. thanks for the help guys.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Yeah you're right, turbo surge is a big deal.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Mine didn’t sound like the video at all, it sounded like an old timy pressure cooker venting off, the pst,pst,pst sound.
Here is what will happen;

This is what it used to look like;

1 - 15 of 15 Posts