Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question regarding some turbo surge that I experienced a couple days ago. I was headed up a steep hill in overdrive at about 65 so r.p.m was about 1800, I had just tuned it with a superchips tuner and put it on economy maybe less than 100 miles before. The turbo started to surge up the hill I looked in my mirror and saw no smoke, but it was dark outside so I may not have seen it. All fluids look ok and I just got it back from the shop where the e.g.r valve was just replaced, the tech. said he did a pressure check on the heads and e.g.r cooler and everything looked up to spec. I have'nt had the problem since and I've watched it very close, can anyone shed some light on what would cause that to hapen

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
turbo surge is going to happen when you have a chip, its not a big deal, you should hear mine, lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats very good to hear.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
You have a 6.0 so it wasn't turbo surge in my opinion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then what do you think it is?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Not sure but maybe your turbo needs a cleaning. I suppose anything is possible but with vgt turbo I haven't heard of anyone haveing surge. See if you have any codes stored.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly how do you go about cleaning your turbo. In fact one of the dealerships mentioned that it could be the vanes sticking telling the computer to back of on the boost, especially since I don't haul anything and may not be running it as hard as I should.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
There is a writeup on the 6.0 tech section I will see if I can find it for you. Sometimes the turbo builds up some rust as well. Is it still under warrenty?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes it is still under warrenty, but if it is not that big af a deal I think I would rather just drive the wheels of of it. What is the worst that could happen if it is dirty? Also I was talking with a race shop about putting an aftermarket turbo on and they want me to spend like $8000 on just the turbo setup, not including the trans mods I would have to do to keep the transmission from blowing up. That seems high to me, what do you think.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Yes it is still under warrenty, but if it is not that big af a deal I think I would rather just drive the wheels of of it. What is the worst that could happen if it is dirty. Also I was talking with a race shop about putting an aftermarket turbo on and they want me to spend like $8000 on just the turbo setup, not including the trans mods I would have to do to keep the transmission from blowing up. That seems high to me, what do you think.
Yeah run away from that shop unless that included more upgrades then a turbo setup. I can't find the writeup I thought it was in the tech section.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you think it should cost? If the turbo is dirty and I don't clean it what do you think will happen, just hurt the trubo right?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Well without going to bigger injectors just stick with a stocker. If you were to go with bigger injectors then you would want to do headstuds and an aftermarket tubo then your talking many thousands of dollars, but probobly less then 8 grand depending on what you do. If your turbo is sticking I would have the dealer clean it on their dime or have them put a new one in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the turbo is dirty, what is the worst that could happen? Also the reason I mentioned the new turbo setup is because I had asked the shop what the best way to get somewhere around 400-450 h.p to the ground would be and I want the power to be reliable. This is a daily driver and will continue to be a daily driver so reliability is a must. What do you think?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nevermind that last reply except for the question about the mods. I did'nt see that there were two pages to this post

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
If I was you get a sct tuner with custom tunes you will be close to the 450 hp mark and your stock turbo will handle that just fine. A turbo by itself won't increase hp without the proper amount of fuel to turn it. A dirty turbo will cause you mileage issues and boost issues, so In my opinion have it checked out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you think that the stock transmission will handle that power, if not i was thinking about a suncoast torque converter. Again relibility is my main concern

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
With just the tunes yes you should be fine as long as you don't beat on your trans:thumb:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your the man

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Get ahold of innovative or Dj's for an SCT and some custome tunes. I think you will be happy:thumb:

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,805 Posts
If the turbo is dirty, what is the worst that could happen? Also the reason I mentioned the new turbo setup is because I had asked the shop what the best way to get somewhere around 400-450 h.p to the ground would be and I want the power to be reliable. This is a daily driver and will continue to be a daily driver so reliability is a must. What do you think?
A dirty turbo will eventually cause "not only boost issues" but almost certainly over-boost issues (eventually). You can weaken the "Torque-to-Yield" head bolts and then have leaking head gaskets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts