Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im kinda stuck and looking for some advice here. Mods in sig. Im told its a waste of money to run a smaller turbo housing, such as banks, etc. due to EGTs being uncontrollable with my stage 1s. on the same note Im thinking the D66 is going to be too big and give me lots of lag. What are you guys running? Streetable is #1 concern to me and it just doesnt seem possible to have a powerful yet streetable OBS to me. Money isnt an issue. I want it done right

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
A D66 or H2E should do fine if you want it to stay on the street.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will it spool quick enough? I hate the fact that right now I cant get on the freeway or into traffic without blacking out 2 lanes

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I think it should spool quicker than your stock turbo. You should ask MattP or Alberta7.3 as they both are running a aftermarket turbo. You might think about doing a IC if you can to help keep the EGT down.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya I am definitly doing an IC. I have it, just need to get the tubing. Thanks for your help I will PM somebody with a similar setup. MattP I know you scroll through a lot so if you see this whats your intake? Will I be happy with a D66?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Im fixing to go pick up a IC and piping for my truck but it will sit in the shop till after taxes!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha I hear ya. Im trying to sell an IC I have off an 03 if your interested. Im just going to buy the full kit from spearco

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
unless you can get it to me for less than $75 I cant do it. I have a guy with one for $75 local.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya I would jump on that one lol

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
im workin on it

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
Get a D66 and have your chip redone. Now in the race tune it will smoke but the tow tunes not much smoke at all.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have any tow tunes seeing as I dont tow much and when I do the street tune does just fine. Would you recommend a street tune just for daily driving?

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
Yes if you don't want smoke.. btw I have a D66 for sale.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Streetable is #1 concern to me and it just doesnt seem possible to have a powerful yet streetable OBS to me. Money isnt an issue. I want it done right
stage 1's should be no problem to keep cool. You need 2 big things, intercooler and good tuning. I had an obs sitting at 600rwhp and towed with it fairly often, so its possible to have both power and streetable.

edit- i wouldnt mess with a d66, its just a modded stock turbo so it still has all the problems of a stock turbo. if you want a good upgradeable turbo just get an h2e and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Are you looking to a drop in turbo? If you want no black smoke....find yourself a real small exhaust housing to spool that turbo real quick. Find yourself a bigger turbo like a H2E and run them compound. Should have fast boost down low and good boost up high.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are you looking to a drop in turbo? If you want no black smoke....find yourself a real small exhaust housing to spool that turbo real quick. Find yourself a bigger turbo like a H2E and run them compound. Should have fast boost down low and good boost up high.
i think you need to read up on turbos, its not quite that simple. If you have a super small exhaust housing it will spool fast but will choke out and perform crappy at mid/ high rpms. secondly using a stock turbo in a compound setup is not a good idea, the bearings cannot handle it and will not last. an h2e is not big enough to use as an atmosphere charger in ANY compound setup for a 7.3.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
So how big of a turbo do you have to go for the atmosphere turbo? I suppose I should then read up then :hehe:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
i think you need to read up on turbos, its not quite that simple. If you have a super small exhaust housing it will spool fast but will choke out and perform crappy at mid/ high rpms. secondly using a stock turbo in a compound setup is not a good idea, the bearings cannot handle it and will not last. an h2e is not big enough to use as an atmosphere charger in ANY compound setup for a 7.3.
Id like to know more about doing this:wink[3]:

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Like I said in my PMs to you I am very happy with my D66 and I couldnt afford the 3 grand for a modded H2E with mounting kit so it works for my budget and is a great turbo for me

and as for an intake I use a 6637 filter

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Like I said in my PMs to you I am very happy with my D66 and I couldnt afford the 3 grand for a modded H2E with mounting kit so it works for my budget and is a great turbo for me

and as for an intake I use a 6637 filter
So is a D66 fit on the stock set up?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts