Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently checked my turbo shaft for play and I could feel a definite play in it I have up and down and side to side play. Is it time for a rebuild?

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
No, it's actually supposed to have that play because there is no bearing in there. That shaft rides on a layer of pressurized oil between it and a bushing so, there has to be room for the oil. That's the "play" you feel.

It's bad when it has enough play to allow the compressor to come in contact with the housing. If you don't have that or oil pouring out, you' OK ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks bud! I want to pull the down pipe and check for oil but idk how I'm going to push it back up and align it, because I have that banks power elbow. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm getting such a huge puff of blue smoke on first start up of the day!!!! Everybody says forget it but I just can't see why it is doing it if it never did it before.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
There should be some play, yes. But you should need a micrometer to gauge it. Up and down is typically considered a no-no... side to side is pretty normal, as long as it's miniscule.

Is there marks on the housing from compressor contact? I'd def check the DP for oil.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
There should be some play, yes. But you should need a micrometer to gauge it. Up and down is typically considered a no-no... side to side is pretty normal, as long as it's miniscule.

Is there marks on the housing from compressor contact? I'd def check the DP for oil.
Do you mean to say side-to-side (3 to 9 o'clock) is any different, internally, than up-and-down (12 to 6)???

That doesn't make sense to me,,, a shaft and a bushing don't really know what "degree" they're moving at. They're spinning parts after all...

I think there IS an important difference between side-to-side (no matter which side you're moving it from) and In & Out. That's where you should find only slight movement as the "float" isn't loaded so much.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Do you mean to say side-to-side (3 to 9 o'clock) is any different, internally, than up-and-down (12 to 6)???

That doesn't make sense to me,,, a shaft and a bushing don't really know what "degree" they're moving at. They're spinning parts after all...

I think there IS an important difference between side-to-side (no matter which side you're moving it from) and In & Out. That's where you should find only slight movement as the "float" isn't loaded so much.
I misspoke and you are correct; you dont want any in and out movement. Side-side/up-down movement is ok.. but there shouldn't be a lot of it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Turbo wheels don't always start scraping on the housing when they go bad internally. Mine started puffing blue slightly then started making a vacuum howling noise at any boost level. The exhaust side was junk/not reusable and there were no marks on the housing still. The play wasn't that horrible either.

Here is the guy I bought my Van Turbo off of . . . basically a D66 turbo w/a wicked wheel.

Gary 832-597-6406
HpTurbochargers TX
[email protected]
Hp-Turbochargers 7.3 & 6.0 PowerStroke Garrett F-250, F-350, 450, 550, E-Series and Excursion

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well yes 3&9 and 12&6 movement but no in and out. I feel more side to side then up and down. I am most likely going to have the turbo rebuilt.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question cruising at 80mph every time the boost gauge would go up it would look like it was being a little irractic. It was bouncing up and down slightly when going up in boost. The question is why?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
post a video. might be surge. might just be flutter.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You could always install a blow off valve.

I'm kidding. But I have had some in and out movement in my turbo for about 80k. It's not much but it has never gotten worse. I always thought it was normal. I don't get any smoke or oil burning. Your turbo is probably OK. But if you want piece of mind take it to a shop you trust and have them check the turbo out. It shouldn't cost much.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
A shop wont be able to tell you anything that you can conclude on your own. Any in/out shaft play is bad. More than like its been pounded from surging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts