Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planned on istalling my WW and ATS housing I just ordered with the turbo in the truck. What are you all's opinions on the theory that an impact wrench will damage the turbo shaft? I know it's quicker than removing the turbo, removing the exhaust housing, and clamping the shaft....That's why I was going to do it with an impact, but will it really damage the shaft? Or is that a load of crap?

opinions? thought?

later

·
Registered
601 Posts
i have seen people use the impact without any trouble

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd be interested to hear more thoughts as well.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be putting any more stress on the shaft than clamping the other end of it tight would.
Iknow a lot of guys do it in the truck without problems, but I came across that disclaimer on Dieselsite.com and wanted to see if anyone has heard of any problems with this.
I figured it was probably like the poeple who refuse to put an EGT gauge pre-turbo for fear of it coming apart and grenading the turbo...It'll probably never happen, but they are just playing it safe...

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Chris, PM Scuffy if he doesn't reply to this thread. He did this exact mod at SSS with leaving the turbo in. Marty has a vid somwhere on here I think. Anyways, I can't remember if he used an impact or an air ratchet.:dunno:

EDIT: Found it, but I am on my phone, so I can't link. Sorry. It is in 7.3 Tech Files, 7.3 Mod Help, Wicked Wheel Installation.:thumb: Hope that helps, Chris.:nod:

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I didn't use an impact when I did mine only because I had my turbo out of the truck to change the turbine section also. Just make sure you have it in reverse and the way Scott"Scuffy" explains it is you tap the trigger to break it free.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Eric and vital! I had already seen the video, and that is the way I had orig. planned on doing it. That is still the way i'm going to do it when it comes in, since no body has ever heard of a damaged turbo shaft from doing it that way...
Thanks Guys! :thumb:

later

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
i have done a bunch of wheel swaps with no prblems, alot of things like that fall into the common sense area, if you turn a wrench at all you can tell if to much pressure or not enough , if that makes since , i always just feel the turbo shaft play and spin it by hand once housing reinstalled just to make sure everything spins ok

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what i'm going to do. Thanks Scuffy!
Of course it's on backorder from ATS, so now I gotta wait on it.

later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts