Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a better more reliable turbo setup that i can still run on stock fuel, still compounded, and not elite. Looked at I.I phatshaft setup, but would like to see what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
What's wrong with Elite's setups? I run their 71mm Tow Power atmosphere and couldn't be happier. There are a lot of modified stock turbo kits out there though. Industrial's is good but they use a K31 billet wheel for the atmosphere which doesn't move the air that the 6 blade Precision wheel Elite uses in their setup. River City Diesel and Swamps Diesel Performance also have modified stock setups.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's wrong with Elite's setups? I run their 71mm Tow Power atmosphere and couldn't be happier. There are a lot of modified stock turbo kits out there though. Industrial's is good but they use a K31 billet wheel for the atmosphere which doesn't move the air that the 6 blade Precision wheel Elite uses in their setup. River City Diesel and Swamps Diesel Performance also have modified stock setups.
Hey Jeff i don't want to bad mouth anyone, but I live in Pueblo, Co where Elite started and they practiced some unethical business tactics and rubbed some of my close friends the wrong way so i prefer not to give them my business. After looking at some other threads i think the batmowheels is the best option that will fit my budget.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Are you going to go with both batmowheels or just the LP batmowheel?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
with just batmowheels, a wastegate probably wont be needed. If you still have your EGR in place then you really dont need one.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
What he said. That is the main reason i am going with a batmowheel. I would do studs tho if you dont have them already.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't go the Batmowheel route. They just haven't been proven. I wouldn't spend $800 on something that hasn't been proven.

I believe Swamp's has a billet compound turbo setup similar to Elite's Tow Powers, but with a much cheaper price. Around $1,750, IIRC. :thumb:

Swamp's will be building my turbos when the need arises.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
The LP batmo has been proven. Rudys tested it and got more hp and lower egt's. Also people have reported that it cleans up the smoke on a big tune nicely. The HP batmo i dont believe has been proven. I dont think the LP batmo is a bad deal for $400. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I think the Swamp's route is the best route to go if you're on a budget. If you do decide to go with the batmowheel upgrade, I wouldn't invest in the high pressure wheel. The low pressure wheel is going to be where your gains are.....and they will be minimal.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Jeff,
Ok time for the question of the minute, What is the formula for turbos and stock fuel.

Trying to get a handle on the different turbo set ups for towing.
Tow powers,
Max Torque power
Phat Shaft
etc.

A smiple engineering explaination would be great.

Talk to Elite and did not get any kind of explaination that made sense.

Nearest thing I can figure is:

Small wheel on the high pressure side will spool faster but run the risk of overspeed.
Larger wheel on the low pressure side max out at 71 mm will flow a bunch of air but again might overspeed the hi pres unit. going bigger requires more fuel ( Bigger pumps and injectors)

Going too much bigger than 58mm on the hi side requires more fuel to "lite the turbo" hence bigger pumps and injectors.

I am not building a 2000hp drag truck just want to to be able to make the engine most efficent in the lower RPMs. (1500-2500) I have some great guidance on a direction to go right now, just tring to understand where "the line in the sand is" and why.:dunno:

Now add to this better flowing manifolds and up pipes which is simple math mean lower pressures at lower RPMs but better flow rates. things get a little confusing.

The plan as laided out is New improved Intake manifold, steel steed Exchaust minfold and up pipes, and a new turbo package all of this will include new head studs and since it is not a race truck nor will it be operated as such so, no wastegate or blow off valve.

At 10,000# I am not racing anyone but the fuel station. add to this an additional 10K in Camper and trailer racing is just not in the cards.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I would stay away from steed speed for the moment until they figure out why they lost power on a test truck.

·
Registered
544 Posts
More info please

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Check out the threads on powerstroke army. I think on Mike's truck they lost about 70 hp with the only difference being the steed speeds. They are working on a new design currently and trying to figure out what happened.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
When I upgrade my turbos, I will get Swamp's to build me a set based off of Elite's High Powers. I hear it is a super fun and clean setup to run with stock fuel.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Bump Jeff any insight?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.