Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home from a road trip tonight. We stopped in to grab a bite, and when we got back out on the road the turbo started making a little screeching noise. I heard it and first thought it was a idler pulley or something. I stopped in the next little town and the screeching had gotten worse. It was very loud even when I was just sitting in park. I unplugged the VGT wire and it quit doing it, so I limped on home. Do you think I need a turbo or could it be something else?? I have the egr blocked with the welded up flex pipe so I hope that could be it instead of the turbo. I will check that in the morning. I still build good boost, it just sounds like the turbo is about to come apart. Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
could be something else but thats what mine sounded like when it begin to burn oil and eat its own impeller lol. i hope it is nothing serious

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Sounds like if anything it's on its way out. Id start pricing a turbo just in case.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
North MS. Just south of Memphis

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
check all your boots, check your egr delete thing. check your up pipes, y pipe.

if your turbo was grinding, screeching it wouldnt have lasted that long and wouldnt have made boost

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went out and took my intake off of my turbo and it was spinning freely and didn't have any play in it. I got under it and felt up around the downpipe and up-pipe and felt a little bit of wind coming from up around the up-pipe somewhere!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the turbo spins freely and has no play does that mean the turbo is probably ok??

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
theres nothing wrong with that turbo.

its in the up pipe or y pipe. you need to look for cracked bellows or something like that

here is a picture to show a bad y pipe. last picture shows the bellow removed

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
yes, but he did say he unpluged the vgt and it went away....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts