Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the middle of my 1.0 housing upgrade and im having a heck of a time trying to get my turbo out the my truck. ive managed to round off one of the (3) 8mm bolts connecting the ebpv to the exhaust housing. plus even with penatrating oil i cant get these bolts to move. any idea about what i can do. thanks inm advance.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
553 Posts
:bump:dont know but heres a:bump:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:dunno::bump::bump::dunno:

·
Registered
87 Posts
when we remove semi truck turbos at school we use a penetrent called Kroil or something like that stuff works wonder u can literally see it work right away

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any tips on the rounded bolt?

·
Registered
87 Posts
the bolt in the housing

The bolt in the housing?? u could drive it out but u risk stripping the thread or heating it these are just suggestions idk it really comes down to what u do and dont wanna damage.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah its the 8mm bolt that connects the ebpv to the exhaust housing

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Get a Craftsman set of Bolt Outs. It grabs the head of the bolt and twists it out.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bought a set of bolt outs. still no go. i still can't get the the one rounded 12pt 8mm bolt out from the ebpv to the exhaust housing. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:bump: once

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:bump::bump:bump twice

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
man that Loctite is good stuff..too good apparently! i font know what to tell you man without damaging your rig, the easyouts work sometimes but if you already tried that.....:dunno:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Put some heat on it MAYBE?

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
+1 for the heat option

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
ok, try this. We had to remove the axle on my dually and someone had rounded off somewhat 2 of the bolts. This is what I did. Take a hot glue stick, and melt it into the socket, immediately place the socket on the bolt and hold it very still in place. wait for a minute and let the glue harden up. then take a ratchet and put alot of pressure down on the socket and ratchet with your hand and slowly see if you can turn the bolt. It did work on my axle bolts in my rear end, and you know those bolts were tight! It loosened the bolts right up. Try that, and if that dont work, use heat as said before.

·
Registered
323 Posts
are you trying to take it apart while its still in the truck? i just did my 1.0 and didnt have any problems taking it apart. i used a 12 point combo wrench and tapped it with a hammer and the bolts broke loose fairly easily.

·
Banned
733 Posts
Get a center punch and punch it and then drill it out. You don't need to drill it all the way, just the head of the bolt.

Were you using a 12 point wrench?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ill have to give those ideas a shot. the turbo is in the truck still. im following a write up from this forum and calls for the removal of the ebpv first to get at the bolts on the exhaust housing flange. it is tight working area trying to get at any of the bolts. iv broken all the bolts loose on the ebpv except for the one rounded. yes i was using a 12pt wrench and a 8mm 12pt socket.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If your going to drill it use left hand drill bits. If they grab they will turn the bolt out. Heat might strip the threads out like someone said before. If you can take the turbo off, try welding a nut to the striped head.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
whats the best way to remove the 2 bottom nuts to the exhaust housing flange. this has become a frustrating project with slow progress. also is there any way to remove the turbo without removing the pedistal. so any help would be great. thanks :thumb:

1 - 20 of 114 Posts