Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need some opinions on a new turbo. My turbo is about to die, squealing bad. Truck has 160K on it. Has been studded and deleted, 4” exhaust, stock injectors. It’s my DD/work truck. I don’t tow much, but need the ability to. Since I’m replacing the turbo I would like to get something slightly upgraded, but I’m also not made of money. I’ve seen a lot of ppl talking about KC turbos or sinister powermax. Plan on ordering something this weekend. Help me spend my money wisely. Thanks

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Hey guys, need some opinions on a new turbo. My turbo is about to die, squealing bad. Truck has 160K on it. Has been studded and deleted, 4” exhaust, stock injectors. It’s my DD/work truck. I don’t tow much, but need the ability to. Since I’m replacing the turbo I would like to get something slightly upgraded, but I’m also not made of money. I’ve seen a lot of ppl talking about KC turbos or sinister powermax. Plan on ordering something this weekend. Help me spend my money wisely. Thanks
Im sure you will get a unanimous vote for a KC turbo. I would look at a stage 1 or stage 2 if you even plan on larger injectors. Great customer service and built buy a team who knows their stuff is very much involved in the community. I personally run a KC stage 2 and love it and tow a 8k lb travel trailer often with great results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
Sinister is overpriced blue garbage, their "stage 2" turbo is nothing more than a billet wheeled powermax with a blue they tried saying the copyrighted not all that long ago

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so KC it is. I think the stage 2 is overkill for what I’m looking for. So it’s either the 1 or 1.5. The only question is for the stage 1, should I go for the 10 or 13 vane. What’s the main differences between, besides the whistle.

·
Premium Member
11,642 Posts
10 vane - a bit slower to spool but more air up top (and an obnoxious whistle)
13 vane - spools quicker but loses a little air up top (faint whistle)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so that settles that, 13 vane. So final question, is it worth the extra $200 for the 1.5? Will I notice any difference? I don’t plan on doing bigger injectors or any other mods.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed a KC Stage 1 turbo last week, it's a great turbo. I stayed with the 13-blade model with my 4" exhaust and muffler it still whistles nicely in my opinion.

I don't know how dudes stand the 10-blade turbo on a daily driver, the whistle is insane on a 10-blade!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, not into the whistle. Plus I’d rather have low end boost. Now just deciding if I should spend the extra $200 on the 1.5. Not sure if i would see any difference without any mods.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ya, not into the whistle. Plus I’d rather have low end boost. Now just deciding if I should spend the extra $200 on the 1.5. Not sure if i would see any difference without any mods.
The 1.5 runs best with larger injectors, that's why I stayed with the Stage 1 turbo.

Also noteworthy, you'll want a new engine tune specific for whichever turbo you install, it'll run best that way.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,642 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
KC turbo 1.5! It's awesome. Pulls like a freight train with my set-up. Plus the 13 blade is much quieter than the 03 turbo I had previously. I run stock injectors, and it pulls my 16k pound 5th wheel very well

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had a KC stage 2, now have a KC stage 1. Always been on stock sticks and will remain that way. Both installs were straight forward and easy and both of the turbos I received were beautiful pieces. If I did it all over I would have went with the stage 1 to begin with but in my defense they didn't have it when I bought the stage 2. Spools quicker than stock, with my set up I see 40psi of boost, towing is an easy task, and never worry of egt's. I went with the 13 blade turbine for my dogs and for towing purposes. Stage 2 had the 10 blade, and I have never received more compliments on my truck, it sounded amazing just hurt the dogs ears.

·
Super Moderator
9,293 Posts
I'll defer to the latter....Before KC got running I was using a P-max/10 blade with a Barder billet compressor wheel. God knows I loved that whistle sound at idle or just cruising the parking lot. On the pedal it was a beast thru straight pipe... Cold starts in the winter were insanely loud.

If I could get that same whistle on my 6.7L I would be happier with the sound.

Don't forget other options in airflow management can get you more out of the turbo. KC can feed your habit!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am looking to save up and get a KC Stage 1 for my 2006 F-250. I saw someone earlier say that it's better to tune it to that turbo when its put in, but my question is if I'm not someone who has a tuner on my truck, is it absolutely necessary to tune it for that turbo or will it still perform well without a tune?

Thanks for y'all's time, I'm still learning more by the day, just want to be preemptive on a turbo change since even though the truck only has 69K mi on it its still on its 4th turbo (my mom believed in low mileage vehicles so it never got driven as much as it should, now its my daily driver).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am looking to save up and get a KC Stage 1 for my 2006 F-250. I saw someone earlier say that it's better to tune it to that turbo when its put in, but my question is if I'm not someone who has a tuner on my truck, is it absolutely necessary to tune it for that turbo or will it still perform well without a tune?

Thanks for y'all's time, I'm still learning more by the day, just want to be preemptive on a turbo change since even though the truck only has 69K mi on it its still on its 4th turbo (my mom believed in low mileage vehicles so it never got driven as much as it should, now its my daily driver).

Dang, 4 turbos in 70K miles, impressive.

A KC Stage 1 will be fine without a tune, not entirely necessary. But KC would be the best to talk to about that, they are super helpful in that regard and will give you an honest answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate the response, I will reach out to KC and double check. Yeah 4 turbos before I inherited it after my mom passed away and when I got it she only had 64K on her. Not a record I want to continue with, my goal is maximum longevity, I take good care of my vehicles, my mom wasn't hard on it, she just didn't drive it like it should've been unfortunately. I want to bulletproof it, put a better turbo in and make my truck last.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts