Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im driving around i have no boost reading. the only time i can see my gauge move is at wot. i have a manual boost gauge with the hose hooked on the y thing that goes into the turbo is that a bad spot?

·
Registered
125 Posts
with no load theres no boost,
only with load boost will be made. so this is normal, only when you get on it (or WOT) you will get boost.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Unless your really easy on the throttle or just cruising you should at least see 1 or 2 psi. The more you get on the throttle, the more boost you'll see. If it only moves at WOT then there might be a problem somewhere with the truck, or gauge. Also, what does it get up to at WOT?

·
Diesel Mechanic Poser
136 Posts
I wonder if you might have a kink in the line or perhaps a fitting that could be leaking. Also, the range of the gauge you have will have alot to do with what you see. If you have a, say, 60 psi gauge, then it would not appear to move off of zero under normal steady-state driving.

What is the max number on your dial and what is the max reading you have been able to get the needle to read? My stock turbo winds out my 30psi gauge. How 'bout yours?

·
Registered
122 Posts
is it bad if i only get 4 psi when i put it to the floor?

·
Registered
122 Posts
well my programmer says my boost sensors A is low or somthin? how can i check these things

·
Registered
107 Posts
nevermind the gauge, how does the truck perform? decent power, no "lugging" or feel like somethings holding you back?

Check the intake gaskets that see pressure, , check clamps etc. Check with another guage too, sometimes gauges are just wrong.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my truck... 30psi Isspro gauge, and it only shows boost when really into it and the gauge makes a buzzing sound. No kinks in the tubing. Fittings tight and teflon taped. I've heard the restrictor orifice in the gauge can come loose sometimes, I just need to tear my pillar pod apart again and check it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My last truck had a 35psi Autometer boost gauge with a Garrett ball bearing turbo. The highest I got it was 33psi at WOT in a race, under normal driving conditions I'd see 15-20 around town and i'd let it sit at 5-10 cruising down the highway. This is in a 5 speed manual though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts