Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question about turbo pedestal. 1999 7.3 early turbo.
turbo pedestal has oil pressure and oil return. I guess small hole is pressure side and large hole is return side. I can blow air (by mouth not high pressure)
into small hole and air comes out small end. When i blow through large hole
air comes out large hole , but also comes out around wastegate rod. Is this normal ??? If yes -- seems like oil would run out around rod.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Are you having an issue with it?

The reason you are not hearing it blow out the EBV (exhaust backpressure valve) when you blow thru the small hole is because of the EBV solenoid. It's the little 2 wire solenoid in the front of the turbo pedestal. When the PCM wants the EBV to actuate, it opens this solenoid and allows oil pressure to flow to the piston, pushing the EBV valve shut. If you were to jump this solenoid and blow into the oil supply line you would hear air push out then. The big hole, the return, is open so that's why you hear it when you blow in that. Here's Internationals description of the oil feed......

Pressurized lube oil reaches the turbocharger bearings from the main oil gallery (left bank) through a passage in the turbocharger pedestal (mounting pad). Oil drains from the turbocharger through another adjacent passage in the pedestal directly back to the sump. This oil supply and drain eliminate the need for external lube lines to the turbocharger.

Hydraulic oil pressure that is used to actuate the exhaust back pressure (EBP) warm-up control is received from the turbocharger lube supply port. This port is located in the turbocharger support pedestal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My issue is oil leakage. Turbo looks good, but with 292,000 thought I would have it rebuilt. Have oil on turbo fan housing and in valley. Thinking oil pressure line on back of head, pedestal o rings, or like I was saying,when I blow in oil return hole air comes out other hole which is normal, but also comes out around rod .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts