Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2000 SD with the 7.3 @ 100,000 miles. Towed our 5,000 lbs. trailer up a pass and the motor made some baffling air sound that came from the drivers side of the engine. The performance was impressive, held OD and at about 1,800 rpm (awesome)!! It really only made the sound when the turbo was really being pushed hard. The sound was like extra air trying to escape and it was real loud, I worried if people I was passing (lol) were wondering what the sound was... Not sure if they could hear it, but I guess so. Any way, I was wondering if it may have been an internal turbo or motor sound that I am hearing from the K&N FIPK? I have looked everywhere and the air filter seems to be the only thing in that area that could even make that sound.

This sound also exists sometimes during normal driving when the Trans/motor downshifts too. It seems like in that scenario its purging or something. I have googled blow off valves and or wastegates, but I don't even know what I have or if it's operating correctly.

HELP FOLKS

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
What were your gauges telling you? Sounds like some good old fashioned turbo surge to me.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The turbo has a factory wastegate setup to it so when the turbo has excess air built up it doesn't need when you let off the gas, it let's it go. The sound is normal and if it wasn't making that sound, we'd have a problem. As long as you are boosting good and your turbo makes that sound, your turbo side of the engine is working flawlessly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My gauges were normal. The sound wasn't normal though, there was something going wrong. I guess I should google turbo surge and possibly look for sound bites to see if that is what was going on. It may have been something inside the turbo and my air intake was its outlet, it's microphone. That makes sense because yesterday I was just looking at my engine bay, looking for possible areas and when I romped on the gas and then let off I heard the air intake suck hard and that was exactly where the sound came from this past weekend. What is turbo surge and how awful it is?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The turbo has a factory wastegate setup to it so when the turbo has excess air built up it doesn't need when you let off the gas, it let's it go. The sound is normal and if it wasn't making that sound, we'd have a problem. As long as you are boosting good and your turbo makes that sound, your turbo side of the engine is working flawlessly.
I get the wastegate purpose, but this sound was happening when I was pulling up the pass and the turbo was getting its legs stretched. I never let off the pedal because I had my cruise control on. I think that there may be something internal not operating smoothly or out of alignment because it almost sounded like bursts of air in a pattern of some type. It's very difficult to put into words. The only positive thing was the RPMs were very low for the pass/load and it screamed up the pass.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I think we need a video. Your descriptors aren't doing me a whole lot of justice here, bud.

Turbo surge will show the boost gauge going back and forth really quickly; it will snap the shaft in half if continued.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a boost gauge, so I have no idea what my boost is doing. I have 2 voice memos, want me to email them to you? That's the only option I have for the memo to be sent.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
thats why I asked what your gauges were doing and you said they were normal.. I didn't mean your fuel gauge! lol.

If you had proper gauges on the truck this would be much easier. Sounds like turbo surge to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is your email (if you don't mind) and I will forward the sound clip.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
PM'd you
hdofdrtgrf

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Ok got the email. Thats def surge man... I could hear the wheel reversing clear as day in it. Wicked wheel or ported housing is your ticket.

I'd go with an ATS ported housing. It's more pricey, but you wont lose as much power/increase egt's like you can with the wicked wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks brother, I will look on the site you gave me for which direction to go. My question now is does the surge only happen when there is too much boost or does it happen on everyday driving as well? I only hear it when it pulls real hard, but want to basically know how fast this needs to be fixed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I have read a few articles and apparently there are some folks saying just replacing the WW may do the trick, but will/may lower the psi and may still give you some surge on high psi, but if you do the housing replacement the problem is solved for good.

Am I reading this information correctly folks?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Thanks brother, I will look on the site you gave me for which direction to go. My question now is does the surge only happen when there is too much boost or does it happen on everyday driving as well? I only hear it when it pulls real hard, but want to basically know how fast this needs to be fixed?
No problem. Surge happens when the compressor is trying to ram too much air down the throat of the motor, but the motor cant take any more the wheel goes forwards/reverse/forwards/reverse very quickly changing directions. It typically only does it under high boost conditions. I'd fix it asap so you dont break anything. A tuner only makes this problem worse.

So I have read a few articles and apparently there are some folks saying just replacing the WW may do the trick, but will/may lower the psi and may still give you some surge on high psi, but if you do the housing replacement the problem is solved for good.

Am I reading this information correctly folks?
Yes the wicked wheel will work, but as I told you it drops boost and has a more inefficient blade combination that will result in less flow.

Yes, the replacement ATS ported housing is a fix-all. But IF you can afford the 1.0 housing, I'd highly recommend that one. Will not only eliminate surge, but provide much more mid-end and top-end pulling power.

99-03 Power Stroke 1.0 A/R NON-wastegated Turbine Housing w/ adapter

·
Registered
13 Posts
sounds like it you should look at your piping pretty close. could be the issue right there. Thats what im leaning toward since you said you heard multible bursts of air surging at once....... piping is my guess. good luck

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^I heard the sound clip... it's without a doubt surge. And if he's got a chip/tuner, it's going to be worse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not sure if the truck has a chip/tuner. The previous owner said no, but who knows.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
You'd know if you had gauges ;) hehe.

But I'd do the 1.0 exhaust housing if you can afford it... it's cheaper than the ported compressor housing and will do more for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You'd know if you had gauges ;) hehe.

But I'd do the 1.0 exhaust housing if you can afford it... it's cheaper than the ported compressor housing and will do more for you.
Hahaha! Jokes huh? Lol

In due time sir.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts