Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
My 97 PSD has the Banks PowerPack system (intercooled), which I understand there is a different turbine housing (Banks quickspool housing?), but the compressor wheel is still stock, as far as I could find in my research.... (Bought truck with the system already on it, 14 yrs ago...haven't done much but drive it, glow plug it, and overhaul/upgrade the e4OD..Haha..)
The turbo is burning a fair bit of oil when first leaving house after a cold start/warmup cycle---blows blue smoke for about a quarter mile, and I am down on boost some, lucky to hit 20psi under the right conditions. Can't recall exactly, but I seem to recall being able to hit mid/upper 20's back in the day. I do know the up pipes are leaking some, and need replaced.
Would there be any advantage to replace the compressor wheel with a wicked 2 or something along that line while in there for the rebuild (knowing I have the Banks turbine housing), and I DEFINITELY want to delete the EBPV, as it has been wired open since the day I bought the truck! as well as the pedestal o-rings are leaking pretty good...
I also am still on the stock injectors, although I o-ringed em back at 175K, but can't recall if they are single shots (AA) or splits (AB)...currently at 205K... Should I be thinking hard about doing the injectors? And if so, is there a recommendation of any improved units out there that don't break the bank? I've always done NEW stock Alliants for past customers back when I worked in the independent automotive repair world some 9 yrs ago. I don't like heavy smoke, not a coal roller kinda guy, but if there's a little extra power to be squeezed out of what's otherwise been a pretty solid setup, I am all ears....
I also know i need to check my FPR screen, as I haven't done that since I've owned it, and understand that can indeed cause a lack of fuel/power issue...doing that tomorrow (well, later today...lol) once I source the overhaul kit...

Anything else I may be missing???? Thanks in advance! :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also,
I understand that you can go to a GTP38 turbo by changing the pedestal to a late 99-03 gtp ped/gtp up pipe kit? Are there any real gains, over my current setup, or a drop-in upgrade???

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Since I don't have any personal experience in that area, I would contact [email protected] and see what he says about those options with your setup. Also, check out this thread: Up grading turbo

Cheers!

Reactions: strokinitt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I will say that, after about a month of driving this thing after replacing my turbo, and up pipes, having done nothing else yet, the 'ol girl has new life breathed into her...:cool:
I went with a NEW KC-Turbo Stock+billet wheel 1.0AR, clean pedestal, and outlet, which the turbo comes with (no need to order a clean outlet housing, live and learn)... Essentially the compressor housing is the same as the Banks quick-spool compressor housing that was installed some 20 yrs ago into the stock turbo. The only real difference is the 360* thrust, and the KC spinning assembly, which is more aggressive than the stock spinny stuff... LOL
For the up pipes, I went with the AVP bellowed pipes, which I was able to install without any real issue. The only thing I would say is, instead of using the cheap perforated gaskets they send with most bellowed pipe kits, use the fel-pro oem style donut gasket, as they do fit nicely into the pocket on the flange that bolts to the turbo inlet housing, and secure quite well using the supplied bolts. Sure is nice not seeing soot build up on the firewall!!! :ROFLMAO:
My tail pipe smoke is all but gone...which is nice. Boost is now over 30psi (31-32) on a hard, high rpm pull, which is something I have never seen (could never get above 25psi since owning the truck)... There is the slightest bit of boost flutter noticed at about 26-27psi boost on the boost gauge when under power, but quickly dissipates... The nice thing about the current setup is, it sounds like it will support a set of 160/0 injectors, should I choose to go there...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be rebuilding my fuel bowl next, and should maybe see a slight improvement above what I feel already...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Man I've been wanting a kc turbo for the longest time, just dont have the funds laying around for it, since you have an intercooler you can run a pretty heavy tune when you go bigger injectors and not have to worry about egt so much, just make sure you get some really good tuning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I've been wanting a kc turbo for the longest time, just dont have the funds laying around for it, since you have an intercooler you can run a pretty heavy tune when you go bigger injectors and not have to worry about egt so much, just make sure you get some really good tuning.
It's been really nice....Between the new turbo, and fresh bellowed up pipes (I went with AVP) no complaints so far, with approximately 2k on the truck since work was done...Actually having boost again! Haha
I am looking forward to see what servicing my fuel pressure regulator/bowl screens will do... Then maybe some injectors down the road.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did cnc fab bellowed up pipes 2 years ago, I also have a modded stock turbo with 1.0 exhaust housing and billet compressor wheel, monitoring my drive pressure vs boost they are roughly 1 to 1, I can peg out my 35 psi boost gauge, before I intercooled my truck I was probably hitting roughly 40 psi but egt would get stupid high if I actually stayed in the throttle, now I can run it wide open in my highest tune and only get about 1250 on a long hard run, the intercooler was one of my favorite mods. I used to have to run is stock setting or I'd run high egr pulling a heavy trailer now with the intercooler I can run a hotter tune and wont break 1100.

Reactions: strokinitt
1 - 9 of 9 Posts