Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check all boots, pipes, everything. This is the second turbo on this truck and did the same thing with the last one. What else could be wrong? Check map connection. Any ideas?

·
Registered
599 Posts
well first make sure the MAP hose is not plugged at the intake. The port to the intake will clogg. seconldy if its not boosting its time to clean the vanes. If you know solenoid works properly

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well since I'm getting 14 psi at idle on my map pressure I'm going to assume it's not clogged, plus I don't have any egr system. Also the turbo was just reconditioned. And this is the second turbo to do this. I just assumed the first turbo was bad so I got a new one and it didn't fix the problem and is doing the same thing

·
Registered
599 Posts
oh well, check your up-pipes, i ran into the same problem it ended up being the turbo was not getting the exhaust pressure to run it. Any leak preturbo acts like a blow off valve and will not let the turbo spool. Smoke machine works best to check for exhaust leaks. Most common area is an up-pipe though

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Atmospherics pressure is barometric correct? Cause mine is reading at 31.30 at idle while map is at 14.35

·
Banned
837 Posts
14psi at idle is NOT NORMAL.

Check your VGT solenoid.

I'm surprised this wasn't one of the first responses.

Also these turbos build up carbon badly so another fix is to run some cetane booster/injector cleaner and put this bad ***** on the interstate, and open her wide the F[_]CK OPEN!

Do this a few times and see what happens. Mine got stuck and I got the refurb kit and to just try it, I did this. Ran double dose of cetane booster and just went on the interstate for an hour and just punched it repeatedly.

Worked like a champ.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what is suppose to be normal? And what are the odds that both turbos had bad seloniods and this turbo was just reconitioned.

·
Registered
599 Posts
oh boy i confused myself, i know baro and MAP Key of engine off should read the same. I believe they should read the same on a diesel when the engine is at idle sense there is no vacuum. Then MAP pressure should increase with boost.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
found the problem, the cold pipe off the intercooler..........Bottom half completely broke in half.........only had a 2 inch piece on the top side just enough so when you looked at it, it looked perfectly fine

·
Registered
586 Posts
Now I'm having problems with my turbo. My truck sat for about 3 days without being started. When I started it today the turbo didn't spool up at all. I had about 2 or 3lbs at 65 on the interstate. I pulled into the car wash and reved it up while in park and on the 3rd time I finally heard the turbo spool up. I took it for another drive after that and hammered it and it got up to 32lbs. Its acting normal now but what do you guys think it could be. Does that sound like a solenoid or needing cleaned?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts