Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling a loaded trailer enough to squat my truck. an hour into the trip my turbo sounded like a bug zapper. is the water gate opening and dumping boost? if so why would it be doing that? it seems to do it now just driving down the road without a load. any help would be great thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If it is a obs truck (you didn't say what year it is) it does not have a wastegate. Has someone installed a intercooler in it? I would start by checking the boots from the intake spider to the intake plenums for lose clamps or rips and the clamp between the turbo outlet and the intake spider. Might also pull the air intake boot and check it along with the turbo impeller to make sure it is not damaged or scraping the inlet housing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gonna ask about the impeller cause that's what happened to my 99 is the impeller was grinding and it made a similar noise. this truck is an obs 95 f250. is it a simple fix if it is the impeller by just changing the wheel? or do I need a new turbo?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If the wheel is grinding the turbo would need rebuilt or replaced. The impeller grinding is usually a indication of shot bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts