Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When pulling a trailer up a hill, the turbo starts to chatter and boost pressure jumps around. What causes this and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
372 Posts
That is called turbo surge and it is pretty bad on your turbo. I had the same problem while towing. I installed a wicked wheel and it fixed. Although I have heard that just the wicked wheel does not fix all cases and some require an ATS housing too.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
EEK. That's bad. What he said or a whole new turbo, it all depends on how deep your pockets are bud. :dunno:

Someone will surely come on here and be able to explain exactly WHAT turbo surge is and what it's doing better than I can. I know it's basically overboosting itself, but i haven't grasped how...

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
I have the same issues. What sound does yours make exactly? I have the wicked wheel too. It helped from before, but it can still be bad at times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the same issues. What sound does yours make exactly? I have the wicked wheel too. It helped from before, but it can still be bad at times.

Its a Ch Ch Ch sound and the boost gauge flutters. Im guessing a Wicked wheel is a new turbo wheel. I definately cant afford a new turbo right now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts