Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....Hope I'm not beating a dead horse, Tried a search but came up with Zilch!

Can someone explain the whole phenomenon behind the turbo lag and do some turbo's lag more than others?

If one has a long lag does that mean a problem? Never had a diesel before so just checking.

Mine is fine off the line but if I'm cruising around 30+ and hit it, it lags pretty good before it hits. Normal?

Also how would you know if your turbo is bad or going out?

Sorry for all the questions but it would be good to know.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Turbo lag comes from the time that it takes to spin up. The reason that you get lag is because it is using exhaust to spin it up and it takes a couple of seconds for the turbo to catch up. As for lag time Im not sure hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you more.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Your engine has to make enough exhaust preasure to spin the turbo assembly. That is why most trucks smoke heavy when they first get into the pedal. Your dumping fuel at the engine to make it spin, and drive the turbine side.

Take your sons hot wheels. You walk up to it and can push it across the room with ease. Walk out to your truck and start pushing it. At first you will sweat, curse, and struggle, but eventually it will push with ease as it starts to roll faster and faster.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Unlike a blower that is directly connected to the crank, a turbo is driven off of something that has yet to happen.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Everyone is correct. And your turbo lag seems normal, or at least it's like mine. And the lag can be varied by turbo size. A tiny lil ricer turbo (10psi MAX) spools up very quickly, ours (30 or so) take longer because the turbine is bigger. Twin turbo's take off very quickly because there is a small turbo already spooled up providing boost while the bigger one is still spooling up to provide even more, virtually eliminating turbo lag.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks guys
I've noticed with my EGR turned off that it builds boost sooner and less lag. The turbo lag on the stock program is just plain embarrasing! haha

Are you still running the Extreme Race as your daily driver? I'm contiplating running a Agg Street daily.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, I'm still running it. Actually I wasted my TQ and had to get a new one but then I reinstalled the race file. When I got it back the power was sooo sad. I had to tune it again quick just to get home LOL. Problem is I'm getting use to it and want more power. That lag sure is irritating me when driving

Whats with the EGR turned off? Clue me in. Anything info would help

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have the same problem, when driving on the stock file I actually feel sick! haha

Chances are that your EGR is already turned off with the programs you are running. You may have to check with ID however. Especially since you live in Cali.

How much max boost are you seeing? With EGR off I see 22-26 max. If you are boosting higher than that it may still be enabled. Having the EGR valve disabled doesn't allow hot gasses back into your intake which usually resultes in building boost sooner and reducing lag.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see around 22-25 like you but I'll check with ID. I'm running the same extreme as Ted so I'll check with him

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:eek:mg: JAVA JOE YOUR AMAZING AVATAR IS GONE?! What gives?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:eek:mg: JAVA JOE YOUR AMAZING AVATAR IS GONE?! What gives?
Moderator LOGAN said he got complaints from a couple people and asked me to remove it even though he said all the mods liked and approved it. Pretty amazing what a few spoiled apples can do. They must have a lot of power to be able to control the mods of this forum. She had more on than a bathingsuit top.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
your egt' would be through the roof if your turbo was going out. Over 1000 degrees crusing the 65-70ish. If you're cruising 30mph and then go to the floor you will definitely have lag, I do. Like ebusa said, stock is so embarssing and slow it just freaking sucks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your egt' would be through the roof if your turbo was going out. Over 1000 degrees crusing the 65-70ish. .

Good to know. I was wondering about that. Thanks. My egt's are at 600, cruising at 75 and 2000 rpms so I guess I'm good

·
Registered
387 Posts
Only 22-25lbs.? Seems low to me. I'm stock and can hit 27+...

Check your boots...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Only 22-25lbs.? Seems low to me. I'm stock and can hit 27+...

Check your boots...
You are seeing those higher numbers because your EGR is plugged in and probably running stock tune? 27+ is being made because you motor is working harder to get you moving with the stock HP rating.

Have it turned off with a tuner or simply unplug it and I bet you won't see that high of boost.. :crazy:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ted at ID said that all his custom tunes are egr off

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Moderator LOGAN said he got complaints from a couple people and asked me to remove it even though he said all the mods liked and approved it. Pretty amazing what a few spoiled apples can do. They must have a lot of power to be able to control the mods of this forum. She had more on than a bathingsuit top.
Yeah I know for real. Wonder who complained about it cause they're nuts.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yeah I know for real. Wonder who complained about it cause they're nuts.
Personally, I liked it. But I can also understand how some people could be offended by it. Maybe some female members? But knowing our mods, it took more than 1 complaint to ask him to remove it. Justifiable for any mod to make that move after several complaints. This is a public forum after all, even though it is our little playground. :) :thumb:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Personally, I liked it. But I can also understand how some people could be offended by it. Maybe some female members? But knowing our mods, it took more than 1 complaint to ask him to remove it. Justifiable for any mod to make that move after several complaints. This is a public forum after all, even though it is our little playground. :) :thumb:
I could only figure it was one of the female members *shakes fist* lol! Or possibly because of the REALLY young members we have a few of, like just turned 15. :dunno: I'll miss it lol ... here's what i don't get though, KOOPSD gets to keep his then? :please: don't make him delete his

1 - 20 of 24 Posts