Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for decreasing the "off the line" turbo lag in a 2006 6.0 with stock turbo.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
put a supercharger on it instead.. literally.. But the lag is the way it is nature of the beast with a turbo... I am spoiled with the vgt on a 6.0 as if you think the 6.0 has lag?? you feel a dodge etc etc..

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The 6.0s lag really isn't all that bad. Drive a 7.3 or a cummins and you'll experience some real lag. As for making it a bit better off the line I would get a FICM Tune. Look on FICMRepair.com and it explains it all really well. A 4" free flowing exhaust will eliminate any back pressure and also help a little. Custom tuning can change some parameters and help as well.

Do a little more reading on here and you'll find a wealth of knowledge on the subject. If you really wan to take off the line try practicing a brake stand. It's not exactly good for your drivetrain but the truck will take off a lot faster. Or if your desperate for a super quick jump off the line try a boosted 4x4 launch. On a tuned truck you'll be thrown back into your seat! The truck will take off like a bullet.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you're referring to everyday driving and getting rolling from a stop light or sign it's the nature of a stock truck, if it's a race thing then you have several more options, 1.0 build boost with braking, 2.0.......
Hybrid Turbo
ARP Studs
Tune and FICM Tune
Monitor SCT ScanGauge Etc.

Do the above and you're only complaint will be tires are going bald.

D

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you're referring to everyday driving and getting rolling from a stop light or sign it's the nature of a stock truck, if it's a race thing then you have several more options, 1.0 build boost with braking, 2.0.......
Hybrid Turbo
ARP Studs
Tune and FICM Tune
Monitor SCT ScanGauge Etc.

Do the above and you're only complaint will be tires are going bald.

D

FICM tune will make the truck drive like a gasser off the line.. night and day difference for me using atlas 40 or atlas 80.

Next on my list is a hybrid from the MAD scientist above lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I am just looking for better performance in everyday driving. Can somebody please tell me how/where to tune the FICM? What exactly does the new FICM tune change to make the turbo lag go away?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Injector pulse width is changed for better performance especially on the low end. I'm using the Atlas 40 and it's great for my combo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair has all the info you need for the ficm location and how to remove. They have a big FAQ page that will probably answer any questions you come up with. I should be getting mine back from them this week with the Atlas 40 tune.
Just sent my ficm in to ficmrepair.com and wondering if you are happy with your atlas 40 tune. i am not sure if i should add a tune or leave it stock.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Wait... We dont even know the condition of his turbo or exhaust boost pipe leaks...

How many miles on your truck?

Have you ever had work on your turbo? yourself or dealer?

Taking the exhaust side of the turbo apart and cleaning it out can bring back the performance of the turbo.

Along with fixing exhaust leaks that feed the turbo.

Rather than telling him to throw parts at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wait... We dont even know the condition of his turbo or exhaust boost pipe leaks...

How many miles on your truck?

Have you ever had work on your turbo? yourself or dealer?

Taking the exhaust side of the turbo apart and cleaning it out can bring back the performance of the turbo.

Along with fixing exhaust leaks that feed the turbo.

Rather than telling him to throw parts at it.
125000 miles on the truck and the turbo has been replaced once. I had it off awhile ago and everything looked clean inside. Alll the exhaust joints seem tight as well.

Will the turbo whistle be louder with the tune? I have an early 2004.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
125000 miles on the truck and the turbo has been replaced once. I had it off awhile ago and everything looked clean inside. Alll the exhaust joints seem tight as well.

Will the turbo whistle be louder with the tune? I have an early 2004.
A tune won't make your turbo louder, you need to kill the kitty and have the muffler MIA.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
When was it replaced? Getting delete pipes for the cat and muffler(I have delete pipes) will help with the turbo spool up, lower egt's.

I have to smog my truck and all I have to do is put the cat on. They dont care about the muffler.

I still suggest taking the exhaust part of the turbo apart and get clean it out. And see how that does.
Here is a link on the process and tools.
DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning

Another way to find exhaust leaks is the black soot build up around the joints, and listen for air leaks when the engine is cold. The turbo boosts more pressure than normal when the engine is cold.

This is just a suggestive first approach before you spend money.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your turbo might just need some TLC too. My turbo lag was getting really horrible pulling away from a stop... Magnified many times when towing. After watching a how-to on YouTube, I took the turbo a part and polished the unison ring and VGT vanes with a scotchbrite on a die grinder. Anti seized the parts as it went back together. It was like a new truck when I was done. The VGT portion of the turbo had been sticking and since the vanes couldn't move, it wasn't able to spool up as fast as it should. It spooled up like it did when it was new after the cleaning.

I've also read of guys having cracked unison rings.

It's worth the effort to pull it out, inspect it, & clean it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts