Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to look through the post but not having much luck.
2007 F550 crew cab hauler with 167k miles is all stock other than 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust I just did last week.
Truck has great power from a stop and low range in town, but after the exhaust system it seems like I have some turbo lag in the mid to top end range. Its hard to explain other than today on the hwy I noticed it 2 times. 1st time about 40mph went to pass a car, pressed the peddle pretty hard and took about 3 to 5 seconds for the boost to raise and really take off then did it again around 60ish but was only about 2 seconds. No codes, nothing else funny going on either.

Normal driving I'm not seeing any problems, just if I have to stomp on it! I know it's a heavy truck, but didn't really notice it before the exhaust was done.... So do I need to look for something or am I just liking the sound of the exhaust too much! lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you using to check for codes?
They hooked up some sort of Snap on machine. Like a huge laptop. So far from what I am reading being a stock truck this is normal. Not sure why it is standing out after the exhaust work other than I'm a little harder on it since I can hear it running now.🤷‍♂️
Going to put one of my mild tunes on it Monday and see what it does.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
They hooked up some sort of Snap on machine. Like a huge laptop. So far from what I am reading being a stock truck this is normal. Not sure why it is standing out after the exhaust work other than I'm a little harder on it since I can hear it running now.
Going to put one of my mild tunes on it Monday and see what it does.
There will be considerable lag if you just stand on the pedal and the turbo isn't spooled. A FICM tune and/or good ECM tune will help with that some but In general it's much better to roll into it and let the turbo spool before dropping the hammer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There will be considerable lag if you just stand on the pedal and the turbo isn't spooled. A FICM tune and/or good ECM tune will help with that some but In general it's much better to roll into it and let the turbo spool before dropping the hammer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'm normally pretty easy with it since its my haul truck, but you know how Prius drivers can be on the hwy......

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I had this exact result when I put my 4" exhaust on. I'm going with a lack of back pressure, mainly due to the 4" down pipe.... but deleting and the 4" down pipe seems to open the exhaust system a little to much. I fixed mine by putting a tune on it.
I already had a cia, new cac boots and upgraded cold side pipe on mine when I did the exhaust. That's why I'm saying it's lack of back pressure, couldn't think of anything else.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol. But 3-5 seconds is a lot. When was the turbo last cleaned? How much boost are you making when you romp on it on the highway?
Not sure when or if it has ever been cleaned. I have only had it 3 months now (3k miles) Will have to watch the gauge on the way home, haven't watched it since the first time it happened but at that time the gauge went about half way up like it normally does. (on the stock gauge) going to hook up my sct and see what it shows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts