Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys! I use to be a member but sold my truck but have had another 6.0 for a yr.
Ok let's get to it.....just did headstuds/gaskets. Did STC kit, stand pipes and dummy plugs, KC turbo 360 rebuild kit as well as a balanced kit and I cleaned the turbo thoroughly. Pretty much everything on the top end is done. Not that it matters, but I have installed the Bulletproof Diesel remote oil cooler/filter system.
Anyways, truck runs great, starts right up cold and hot and idles great. I've replaced the MAP, EBP AND IAT sensors. I have replaced the MAP tube and cleaned the nipple. I'm getting the P0299 code, no low end boost and is ridiculously throaty at idle but has absolutely no power.
I have purchased another VGT SOLENOID but havent installed it. I've read about the turbo/vgt relearn but have read that its ONLY for 03&04.
I'm trying to figure where to go next....replace the VGT SOLENOID? Relearn?
The only codes I'm getting are P1000, P0299, and 2 codes for the fan bc I have deleted the pcm controlled fan and went with the 7.3 fan and adapter.

Needs some help guys! I appreciate anything/info you can throw my way. Ask any questions you need to.
Oh, and the cac boots are good. This is a turbo issue of some kind. Again, at idle its throaty, absolutely NO whistle and I have a KC 10 blade installed.

Sorry that my post is all over the place....

·
Old School
265 Posts
Are you building boost at all (any load/RPM) or just not at low RPMs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get up around 5-6 psi full throttle and that's not going anywhere. I'm pulling the turbo off again this afternoon to see if I screwed up bc there isnt much left to replace except wiring harness or turbo or possible pcm issues.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
EBP/MAP/BARO all within 0.5psi of each other KOEO (~ -14.5psi depending on elevation)?
MAP sensor clear of gunk?
MAP sensor hose clear of gunk and free of cracks, splits, etc.?
MAP sensor hose nipple on intake manifold clear of gunk?
EBP sensor clear of gunk?
EBP sensor tube clear of gunk?
EBP sensor tube fitting on exhaust manifold clear of gunk?
If you unplug the VGT solenoid, does the exhaust note change or stay the throaty rumble of a V8?
Did you pull the VGT plunger out of the back of the solenoid housing? If so, it might be indexed incorrectly...check youtube for Diesel Tech Ron's video of indexing a VGT turbo from a 6.0.

Report back...

-jokester

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before reinstalling the intake I had it cleaned correctly, its spotless inside. I have made sure ths map nipple and ebp tube were clean and clear.
MAP, EBP & IAT sensors are brand new motorcraft. So, unless defective out the box they should be good. Map tube brand new.
When it comes to psi, my SCT Livewire does read psi. It offers a few different forms of measurement, maybe putting them on the same will be close enough? If theres another way to read the psi let me know.
I did NOT remove the plunger from the turbo, simply bc I didnt have a 6mm bolt. So unless it's possible for it to get moved(indexed wrong) on it's own it should be good.
I replaced the VGT solenoid. As for it being plugged in or unplugged, there is absolutely no difference.

·
Old School
265 Posts
Have you ruled out a massive exhaust leak? Like the Y pipe isn't hooked up correctly? "ridiculously throaty" sounds like it could be suspect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ANYTHING is possible at this time but I feel confident it's not the issue, simply for the fact that when I was reconnecting the exhaust/y-pipe I loosely connected it to the manifolds first then snuggled it up with turbo, clamped it down (not snug) and then tightened the exhaust at the manifolds then went back and tightened down the clamp. Is it possible theres a leak, theres always a possibility but this method has never failed me. I havent been in any rush getting my truck back together, taking my time making sure everything is torqued to spec and on correctly. I've climbed on top and had my gf idle up and slightly rev to see if I could possibly feel a leak, didnt feel any but I cant rule crap out.

·
Old School
265 Posts
Yeah, it would be hard to believe an exhaust leak that bad would go unnoticed, but stranger things have happened. Just throwing it out there since it sounds like you are covering all of your bases. When I am troubleshooting issues and I've exhausted (no pun intended) everything I can think of, an old saying my grandfather would tell me comes to mind. "If you've looked in all the places it should be, start looking in the places it shouldn't be."

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
Eight posts in and still no mention of the Year and Model -- should be one of the first things in the OP

Check the VGT pigtail for 12 volts and inspect the female terminals

Ohm the solenoid to see if it is working

LPOP building any pressure?(need a gauge) -- that is what operates the VGT

·
Premium Member
11,713 Posts
All good points above.

Also, have you pressure tested the CAC side? Just because the boots are good doesn't mean the intercooler isn't ruptured or the plastic cold side isn't split. I'm assuming it's a 2007 based on the username.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so it's a 07 f250
Not building boost but not bc of leaks on the charge side. Its exhaust related.
As I had mentioned I was gonna pull the turbo. This time I did remove the plunger or whatever the technical name is. All is good and it was indexed correctly. I did reassemble the turbo correctly but it did come down to error I made. Upon reassembly I didnt have any anti-seize and Oreillys was out of stock. Instead of waiting I assembled the turbo. Doesnt sound like it would or should of hurt anything but being that I had just cleaned the turbo down the bare metal and the humidity was high.....you get where this is going. Upon reassembly the unison ring barely had any wear showing so I just went with it. Well bare metal, moisture and installing 2 days later the ring had basically welded/bonded itself to the backside of the turbine housing. The solenoid was trying to do its job but it wasnt strong to budge the ring. The ring is worthless now, totally has a "b" shape going on. I had to literally pry it off. The cam or whatever you want to call it that moves the unison ring is in perfect shape. Just ordered a billet ring and vane kit.
So my stupid mistake of being in a hurry and impatient has cost me time and plenty of $. If this doesnt fix the issue I dont know what else it could be.
And I have great oil supply, no LPOP issues. And upon removing/disconnecting the Ypipe from the turbo I did verify it was seated tight and flush with the turbo.
So in a few days when parts arrive I'll know...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you checked to see if the VGT solenoid is actually moving the vanes?

·
Old School
265 Posts
Have you checked to see if the VGT solenoid is actually moving the vanes?
Looks like he figured it out in the post right before yours. Ring was stuck to the turbo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts