Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had the Edge Insight monitor (83830, probe and dash mount) installed and I guess the shop did not put hose clamps on tight enough?? I could of sworn when I had the upgraded hoses put on they also put some kind of gasket seal on as well? I noticed both hoses were clean and no kind of "glue" on tube or hoses. I put some gray sealant on tighten the crud out of it and stayed on. I want to have them all redone but the diesle shop I go to said there is no need for that sealant as long as clamps are tight and to tourqe. Is this true?
Current hoses are BD. Once hoses come off are they done/stretched out?

·
Registered
137 Posts
You do mean intercooler hoses right? Just use hairspray.. Flat head will real the seal if you need to but keeps from blowing them off..

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Just went though the same thing after I did my stc fitting. Got new boots, brakeleened the crud out of all the surfaces, and went to walgreens and bought me some AquaNet hairspray, works like a champ! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got her back, I hope it is good to go!! I will be in the market for a new/newer F350/F450. What year(s) would be the one to get? I dont want the 6.0 issues anymore and I was just told to stay away from the 6.4 as well, why?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Help please

Once again... Popped off! On my way camping to Bass Lake, what is the deal? Monitor was at 23 boost. Going up hill. My family is really tired of this. Is there a real answer for this? Please help!

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
The real answer? put 2 new ford boots on and replace the metal duct too.

Where exactly is it blowing? Hot side I guess. is the boot coming off the duct or is it coming off the turbo/intercooler. If it keeps coming off the duct you're gonna need a new duct.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rubber boot that slides onto intercooler, the metal duct has both boots intact, it pops off where the boot goes onto intercooler. This has been glued, hair sprayed, gasket sealed and what ever else I can find at the time. I have purchased new boots every time, I will be putting on my 6th boot now. I am soooo tired of this @&$?, it is a crap shoot every time we go anywhere. System has been pressure tested twice, the Spearco intercooler has been checked. The turbo has been cleaned twice. What else is there to do????

·
Registered
222 Posts
Use mercury bellows adhesive! Get it at a boat shop. Super great stuff. Just follow directions on packaging.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
You say they checked the intercooler,how did they use a manomometer?
Did they boil it out? No offense to the shop but in all the years I have worked on diesels I have never seen a shop that actually had a manometer includeing 4 Ford dealeships.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In no way of form am I a mechanic, I am just going by what the shop has said. This shop is suppose to be the 6.0 guru's of the city I am from. Unfortunatly the peep's I have been talking to are all at SEMA this week in Vegas, which I will be attending tomorrow a.m.!! I hope to run into them there. I see that Dieselsite claims to have the best boots.... Is this true? After googleing all morning, I have seen a few trucks that have had a bracket made that holds that aluminum tube stable and close to the intercooler, I am liking that. I am going to order another boot for down there so please point me in the right direction for purchase. Anyone on this forum sell them?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was ALWAYS popping the boot from the intercooler to turbo. HUGE PITA. FINALLY I bought a boot from dieselsite that actually wasn't made for my system because I've got a Banks intercooler pipe. My problem was just that the boots I was buying weren't long enough. I had to customize the one from dieselsite a bit (just cut away a bit to get the right angled fit) but I put it on, double clamped it on the tube side and have never had a problem since, even after having to take it off/put it back on once to work on the back side of the motor under the turbo. I feel your pain. Find a longer boot and double clamp.

·
Registered
137 Posts
how come no one will suggest cheap *** hairspray.. you cant get that stuff off. spray it down real good and slip it on. once it dries, youll probably mess up the boot prying it off. brake clean will do the job to clean it but at what expense if it dries it out and it cracks. hairspray my brotha..

·
Registered
166 Posts
how come no one will suggest cheap *** hairspray.. you cant get that stuff off. spray it down real good and slip it on. once it dries, youll probably mess up the boot prying it off. brake clean will do the job to clean it but at what expense if it dries it out and it cracks. hairspray my brotha..
I think it depends on the truck/tube/angle, etc. I can't even count how may times I tried hairspray. I cleaned the he** out of it every time. Never fixed the problem. My problem was that the boot was just too damned short. Not saying that's the case for everyone, but it was on my truck. Longer boot = problem solved for me. Hairspray = do it again, do it again, do it again on MY truck. It did suck coughing up the money for the boot, but I probably had more money into bad boots and hairspray before I found what worked for me. Not to mention the time spent under the hood on a freeway trying to fix it again with my wife and kid in the truck asking how long till we get to the lake :doh:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it depends on the truck/tube/angle, etc. I can't even count how may times I tried hairspray. I cleaned the he** out of it every time. Never fixed the problem. My problem was that the boot was just too damned short. Not saying that's the case for everyone, but it was on my truck. Longer boot = problem solved for me. Hairspray = do it again, do it again, do it again on MY truck. It did suck coughing up the money for the boot, but I probably had more money into bad boots and hairspray before I found what worked for me. Not to mention the time spent under the hood on a freeway trying to fix it again with my wife and kid in the truck asking how long till we get to the lake :doh:
X2!!! My family doesnt want to rde in the truck at all!!
Dieselsite boots, I looked there, did you get the 2? The ones for $145.00?
I was thinking if the boots were longer that would help. I will wait for your reply before I buy! Thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
ahh so nothing is stock. That makes sense then

·
Registered
166 Posts
X2!!! My family doesnt want to rde in the truck at all!!
Dieselsite boots, I looked there, did you get the 2? The ones for $145.00?
I was thinking if the boots were longer that would help. I will wait for your reply before I buy! Thanks again
I don't recall which one(s) you're blowing, but I was only blowing the boot from the intercooler tube -> turbo. That said, I only needed one boot and bought the one off dieselsite that's $131 - here's a link to it: http://www.dieselsite.com/instock-2003-200760lturbooutletangledreplacementboot.aspx

Remember, I don't have a stock intercooler tube - mine is a Banks tube which is a larger diameter, then they welded on a reducer to match the turbo. My problem was that the tube didn't line up properly with the turbo, leaving too much of a gap, and an angle to boot. That's why I bought this particular boot - because it was long, and angled. I did have to cut it down a bit to give me a good fit, but it served my purpose well.

If you need boots on the intercooler side, then the $145 boots you mention should be what you need. I've never had a problem with those - I've only heard of guys blowing the boot off the turbo as the tube tends to pull away from the turbo when the engine's under load, from what I understand anyway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
ahh so nothing is stock. That makes sense then
Yesser - non-stock

Though I wonder if guys may even have problems with stock tubes due to variances in the bends, etc during manufacturing. Even installing it with just a slightly different angle can alter the distance of the gap between the tube and the turbo, which is probably all it takes to blow a boot under load.

I agree with you though - I'd try hairspray first (and I did). Sounds like that's been a good fix for a lot of trucks. For me, it's like "she" said, it's all about the size. Mine just wasn't long enough. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
In my opinion blowing cac boots is a non-issue anymore. With the new design hot side boots and proper installation they shouldn't come off unless installed incorrectly. I've had mine on and off a half dozen times or more with no adhesive and they always stay put.

Now if you've got a 100k mile original boot that's cracked and oil soaked I'd fully expect that to fail at any time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts