Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck would intermittently lose power and pour out black smoke on the highwayway. Shut it off on my driveway, next day blew white smoke and wasn't driveable. Towed to shop for diagnosis - Determine EGR Cooler for sure and most likely stuck EGR valve.

Replaced: EGR Valve, EGR Cooler by Sinister Diesel, Ford Oil Cooler
Upgraded: Oil supply and drain line to tubo
Added: Coolant filter and Blue Spring Kit

I have a LATE 2004 build with 100k miles - The truck is completely stock.

Before installing I looked over the turbo but did not take it apart nor did I rebuild it. I observed the turbo spun without resistance but I would say it did not spin freely like a top. QUESTION: Should the be a little drag on the turbo?

The blades looked clean and straight on the compressor side - I saw no issues or concerns.
On the exhaust side, the blades were of course black but were not overly caked with soot - They were cleaner then I expected them to be - Again I saw no issues.

THE PROBLEM: Starts right up and after 10 to 15 second I hear a hissing noise. The turbo does not generate any boost.

MAP is at 14.17psi at idle and 14.53 psi doing a brake torgue. The MAP hose is clear and the fitting to the intake is clear.

I have also checked:
1) I have checked, double checked and have had other check for exhaust leaks. I have redone the connection to the Y pipe just to make sure.
2) I know there is no wastegate but the sound seems like it is coming from the center of the turbo - It sounds more mechanical then air leaking
3) Exhaust pressure sensor - I cleaned it but it was not overly caked with soot.
4) Wires look good with no signs of chaffing
5) Tube to the Exhaust Pressure Sensor is clear
6) When I disconnect the VGT Solenoid - the hissing sound goes AWAY - Still no turbo boost but the sound goes away.

I am down to three things:
A) Bad VGT Solenoid - Can these be tested or cleaned?
B) Stuck Turbo Vanes - Could the Solenoid be trying to move the vanes but they will not move? If so, what is causing the hissing?
C) Could the intercooler be plugged - It has never been in a wreck so I don't know how it could but I haven't checked.

I am open to any and all suggestions from the smart people on this board.

If you think this will help, I have a video of the sound from my Iphone but I don't know how to attach it.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Intake boots loose/torn, exhaust loose, egr orings damaged. Plain and simple.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intake boots are solid - Blue silicon one is new

Exhaust seems solid after numerous looks by several people

EGR and Orings are new - Went in without issue - I do not suspect that but will make a double check

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
You probably have an exhaust leak from either your dp on the back of the turbo, your up-pipes where they connect to the y-pipe or to the exhaust manifolds, your y pipe where it connects to the turbo or you possibly have cracked up pipe bellows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - Numerous people have directed me to an echaust leak and to be honest I have been focusing on the connections to the turbo (because that is where the sound seems to be coming from).

I am not trying to sound stupid but am I looking for a small pin-hole leak?

Are there any tricks to finding exhaust leaks besides looking for soot build-up or feeling around (before it gets HOT)?

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
We are telling you exhaust leak because we know how much of a PITA it is to get everything lined up right where it needs to be and secured with the v-band clamp to get the connections to seal properly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
here is how I would find the hiss.... get a tube small enough to go in your ear... stick it in your ear and put the other end down around where you think the air is coming from.. when you put the other end of the tube near the leak, you will definitely hear it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
here is how I would find the hiss.... get a tube small enough to go in your ear... stick it in your ear and put the other end down around where you think the air is coming from.. when you put the other end of the tube near the leak, you will definitely hear it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Good advice, I just remembered another poster's problem. The hiss is probably coming from the egr valve, pull it, inspect orings, lubricate orings, reinstall. Fixed.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
An even easier way to find if he has an exhaust leak is to open the hood, put the truck in gear, stand on the brake and power brake the truck if he sees black smoke coming from under the hood he will know for sure that there is an exhaust leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts