Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a stock '07 F250 6.0 with BPD oil cooler installed. Truck has 109k miles on it.

Started it up the other day and it threw a P0299 turbo underboost DTC (Love my CTS!)

Took the truck out and hammered it as hard as possible on a 20 mile loop. Initially turbo was only getting up to 12lbs boost, but by the end of the trip was hitting 24 - 26.

Now when rolling along at 70mph the turbo sits at 0lbs boost (per dash & CTS guages). Under slight acceleration to maintain speed it'll come up to 1 or 2lbs. It will hit mid 20's under hard acceleration, but it seems like it just doesn't want to spin up unless I demand it ;-)

I'm guessing this means my turbo is on it's last legs?

Worth reconditioning or should I just replace it with 100k miles on it?

For a stock motor is the garrett GT3788VA the best unit to install? I'm looking for reliability, not performance.

tia!
-dave

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
You're turbo could be going out by a few different things. I would first verify that you don't have a boost leak of any type.

You have an '07, so I would avoid a Pmax at this point due to the need to dial in tuning.

What I would recommend for an upgrade is MTW Stage 1 (formerly the Durastroke). Excellent drop in replacement turbo for those not seeking performance gains, good improvement of response and fuel mileage. For reliability, these are being used hard by a trucking outfit in TX, with 30K on their Durastroke - zero issues, and they use the trucks to tow full DOT weights most of the time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
sounds like the vanes are sticking. i would pull the vgt solenoid first and check the tip to see if its coked up, if it is clean it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx guys! Not sure it helps any, but according to the CTS VGT%, it idles at ~75%. When driving 45mph - 65mph it varies from 55% - 65% with boost varying from 0 - 6lbs and under wot (on an incline from a standing start) I got 34% VGT and 27lbs boost.

Anything else I can look at in the CTS to help troubleshoot this, or just tear into the turbo and start cleaning?

Is there a technique to check for exhaust leaks? I can't imagine I could hear a leak with all the other racket going on under the hood...

-d

·
Registered
209 Posts
when the up pipe bellows crack the leak is pretty noticable. at first it will be a high pitch whistle, the more they crack the noise turns into a big hissing sound.

75% at idle is a little high. an egr valve that is stuck open or opening to far can cause boost problems and high vgt percentage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thx sicks-o - I don't have any abnormal sounds that I can detect - nothing like hissing or whistling. Would it be present at idle or do I need someone in the cab givin her some throttle while I listen outside? Sounds like a really dumb question...

I replaced my EGR valve when I installed the BPD kit about 4k miles ago - doesn't mean it couldn't have gone bad in me I guess.

thx again for your help,
-d

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
209 Posts
the hardware kit is good to have. that 3m kit may be a little to big in diameter to clean the turbine housing. i recommend a wire wheel you can use on a high speed drill or die grinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
sounds like your on the right track. As for the VGT readings those are just what the ECM wants the VGT at. The VGT can be stuck and those numbers still change. Our turbos lack a sensor at the top to give a feedback reading to the ECM where the VGT actually is. Also make sure you put some high temp anti seize on the surfaces to help it from sticking in the future.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
U235a4 - thx for that, I hadn't even thought that through, but makes perfect sense now - the VGT reading on the CTS only tells what the ECM is calling for, not what the turbo is doing. The turbo may be stuck, vanes may have limited range, the solenoid could be bad, etc, and there's really know way to know if it's actually working other than under or over boost.

Seems like an valuable feedback loop - does anyone out there address this?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
FORD on there IDS test tool has a sensor they can mount onto the top of the turbo by the feed tube to test VGT function. but for the aftermarket I've never heard anything. Another reason I like the vxcf9, one for cleaning and two as long as I hear the tone change when the sweep is happening I know things should be good.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I just used my Dremel to clean mine. Didn't have buy anything because I already had one and the little wheels. It worked great. Just a thought if you already have a Dremel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx thomas - I was thinking there was a specific reason they called out the 3M pad.

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Jason - thats the direction I'm headed before I replace it.

I have the truck to haul a 36' toy hauler that we use a couple times/year. While doing my research a year ago that lead me to install the BPD kit, I read many times that the truck isn't a 'grocery getter'. I used to drive the truck frequently, but mostly trips <20 miles. Oil probably never even came up to temp... Since the rebuild I only use it once in while on long trips - a whopping 4k miles in the past year.

Now I'm wondering if thats not a good strategy - sometimes the truck sits for a few weeks unused and thats likely what caused the turbo to rust/sieze up...

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Thanks Jason - thats the direction I'm headed before I replace it.

I have the truck to haul a 36' toy hauler that we use a couple times/year. While doing my research a year ago that lead me to install the BPD kit, I read many times that the truck isn't a 'grocery getter'. I used to drive the truck frequently, but mostly trips <20 miles. Oil probably never even came up to temp... Since the rebuild I only use it once in while on long trips - a whopping 4k miles in the past year.

Now I'm wondering if thats not a good strategy - sometimes the truck sits for a few weeks unused and thats likely what caused the turbo to rust/sieze up...
Very good possibility. These trucks don't like to sit around either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts