Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a truck with a bad turbo and injector (details in this thread http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/157945-what-should-i-do-truck.html )
Anyhow i had Ford replace the injector and the turbo. The turbo literally came apart and there was a couple pieces just laying in the outlet housing. Ford said that the intercooler wouldnt let any pieces past it into the engine but i am not sure i trust this advice. Thought i would ask here on opinions and if it needs to be flushed is there enough room to set the radiator back without draining it to get the intercooler out between it and the radiator support? Thanks

turbo.jpg

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
The intercooler will definitely prevent large peices from getting into the engine but I dont see how it would stop small stuff. Its very possible the engine has already had small particulate go through it. I would definitely flush the intercooler, regaurdless of the work it took. Dont want to hurt the engine any more than it already could have been.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You should most definitely flush the intercooler and all the air piping. Any small debris that makes its way back to the turbo will make that new one look just like the old one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts