Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it seems when it rains it poors...

I have started noticing a loud whine at times when first accelerating from a stop. It is not all the time, but it does seem to get more frequent here lately.

From reading a little bit, I am guessing it could be the turbo. Does this sound right? If so, I will need a little help/advice. My truck is a 2005 6.0L with 117,000 miles. My mods in case they matter are a 5" exhaust, SCT tuner, and zoodad mod. Obviously my warranty is out, so what is this going to do to my bank account? Also, if I need to replace the turbo is there an aftermarket one I should look at?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
5" exhaust eh'? are you running a 4" down pipe?

My first suggestion would be to check your passenger side EGR up pipe, there is a flex section there that is know to crack, when it crack it will do very similar things toi what you have just described.

When you look at the up pipe, if its cracked, you will see soot around the flex joint and possibly on the downpipe and firewall, depending on where the crack is. Also if you pop the hood in the daylight,if the pipe is cracked, you will see black smoke rise up from the passenger side near the turbo at a hard rev.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will see if I can find anything on that up pipe.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Also make sure your downpipe is not binding against your cab or frame during accel.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Does the engine stutter when the popping happens? IF so I had one in the shop last month that was popping and hesitating and it was the VGT solenoid. The solenoid is on the side of the turbo and has a 2-wire plug going to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts