Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 03 6.0. After i put 100 miles on it the truck startd backfiring through the airfilter. After reading a bunch on here i took the egr out and cleaned it. Truck ran great. But now it seems like it takes forever for the turbo to spool. And every now and then i hear an air leak more like a squell. Like when you pinch of a balloon and let the air out. (that noise is hard to explain). Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
you may have created some leaks in the turbo boost system when it was backfiring, check all your rubber boots and connections on turbo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The blue boot that clamps to the turbo which joins the pipe that runs down rights side to the intercooler is prone to blowing out. There is an upgraded one at ford for about 68 bucks. Mine was ripped under the clamp so I could not see it till I nailed it to pass someone with load on and blew it off. Also it is a good idea to remove all the boots and lines and wipe them off with a rag sprayed in Carb cleaner. The CCV puts a little oil vapor in the system and it works its way in between the joints which under full boost you can blow one off also make sure the clamps are tight and make sure all the clamps go back on in the same place they came off. Hope this helps. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can i unplug the egr and run without it? Will it help build boost quicker?Do they sell an aftermarket turbo hose to the cooler that is better than the stock? I dont hear the noise until im at full boost in higher gears, and by that time im way over the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
You can Run with out the EGR with no problmes. I was told to wait until your engin is cool, Turn on the ignition to let the egr valve close then unplug it. Thats what i did, My mileage went up about 1mpg after doing it and it ran better. Im not sure on how it effects boost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll unplug the EGR and see what happens. Then i'll tackle the turbo. One more thing the airbag flashes a 2 7 code. I think it means the on off light is burnt out which it is, how do you change the bulb?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts