Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live down in Baja, and my 99.5 F350 (which has been running perfectly for 160,000) all of a sudden is having a power problem. At times the turbo works just fine and then it will just stop mid drive. Truck still runs, but w/o much power. Miles later and some worries, and it kicks back in??

Symptoms:
-Starts up just fine
-no turbo whine
-no turbo kick in power
-shifts gears later
-no smoke
-no fluids dripping
-no check engine lights

What I have done in the last 2 days:
changed oil and filter has 10W-40
changed air filter - was pretty fouled
changed fuel filter - was pretty fouled
drained the water out from the little thingy by the fuel filter

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
sounds to me like the ebp valve is possibly shutting off when it isnt supposed to , a turbo will not work intermittent , if the engine is running it has to spinning the wheel unless its locked up, then it wouldnt work part of the time , unplug the ebp connector going to turbo and see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW, thanks for the quick reply. I have to say here that I am novice mechanic and don't know were to look for a EBP valve is. As well, when I unplug it, does this mean that it should work or shouldn't work? by doing this can I do any damage? I am looking for a good diesel mechanic here but as you can imagine it is tough.

when the turbo works, it sounds like it did the day I bought it new.
there is a slight bit of oil on the 2 big top tubes (blue flexi connections), and dust like on every used turbo diesel, but I feel that is normal.

Are there good manuals online that can show me pictures of the engine?

again, thank you for your help
Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts