Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that after driving my truck (f-350 crew cab long bed 4x4 with
the 6.0 ) after a long period of time (just say 45min to an hour)
that before i shut it off i need to let it idle for about 10 min to cool the turbo down.
Does this make since to you guys ???
Because driving it to work my turbo isnt hardly working at 55 -60mph.
Or does letting it idle hurt it???
Thanks for all the help guys, 65lemans:
:dunno:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
exactlly what raul said. you want to let it cool down for a little while or oil will be burned inside of the turbo from sitting without any spool. although you don't want prolonged periods of idle because of build up. i usually let my truck cool down for 3-7 mins depending on how long i drive it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to let it set at idle for 2-5 mins after a drive to let the EGTs cool down. The reason being is when you shut your engine off the turbo is still spinning but no new oil is being delivered to the bearings. The hotter your turbo is when you shut the engine down, the harder it is on the bearings.

I read somewhere that Banks says this is an ol' wive's tale, but this is coming from a company that probably wants to sell you a new turbo anyway....

I haven't seen any sort of studies saying whether it's good/bad, but for a couple moments of your time it can give you peace of mind

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
OK, I have a question. If it was neccesary to cool down to "X" temp. don't ya'll think FMC would have put this in the manuel and provided an EGT gauge?
Not trying to argue. Unless I am running mine real hard I usually don't let it cool down. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,231 Posts
I agree with Choctaw. If I was pulling 20,000 #'s up a 6% grade, I wouldn't shut my truck right off, but with normal driving, I never let mine cool down.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to let it set at idle for 2-5 mins after a drive to let the EGTs cool down. The reason being is when you shut your engine off the turbo is still spinning but no new oil is being delivered to the bearings. The hotter your turbo is when you shut the engine down, the harder it is on the bearings.

I read somewhere that Banks says this is an ol' wive's tale, but this is coming from a company that probably wants to sell you a new turbo anyway....

I haven't seen any sort of studies saying whether it's good/bad, but for a couple moments of your time it can give you peace of mind
i have been a heavy equipment operator for 25 years.this is not an ol wives tale i dont know much about the powerstoke as some of you, but with the big yellow iron you will take out the turbo.before i did'nt wory to much about the truck unless i knew it was working hard,but now that i have a gauge to go by i watch it to tell when to shut her off.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I have no proof, but I have to believe that the cool down is a good idea...Especially if you aren't stock, it's hot outside, it's working hard and/or you have a gauge and can tell it's hot. Down here in FL it's been about 90-95 lately, running with the A/C on, tuner on 80hp setting, etc. It is quite often at 450-600 if I just pull off the road at a gas station or something and don't idle around looking for a parking spot.

That being said....If I stop and get ready to shut it off right away, as long as my temp is under 350 then I just shut it down (Unless I just had it up over 1000 or something). BTW the temps above are pre-turbo.

-Aaron

·
Registered
611 Posts
i tow all the time with my 06 f350.. my cooldowns are minimal.

If im towing a heavy load, yeah ill let it idle, while i dump the trailer off or i baby it to a stop and into a parking lot, barely on the pedal.. then idle for another 20+ seconds.

If im just driving around without a trailer or any load, maybe 5-10 seconds at idle.

Keep in mind, im not usually ON it prior to stopping so its already idling for 20+ seconds pulling into a parking lot and down from say 50+ mph.

Not saying 2 minutes is bad, but probably not needed unless your really really workin it. Im not tuned though so im "assuming" my EGTs are never very hot with a 4" silverline full turbo back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts