Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Been a while since I have been on here. Help spend my money...lol. Unfortunately, I just lost my KC S2R. And yes, I have been in contact with Charlie at KC. I am sure he is going to take good care of me. I have had the turbo a year and have really enjoyed it. It spooled quick. I have replaced it with the stocker 06 while I get this sorted. I am torn with my decision. After years of listening to the whistle, and I have an open vane tune at idle, I think I am done with it. The 06 turbo noise has been kinda nice, I guess I am getting old, lol. I don't think I want a stage 2 vgt, maybe consder a 1.5, however I don't really want to sacrifice performance. I currently run 190/30 injectors and am on 3.73 gears and 35s. I would't mind a bump in HP, just want something that may be a little quiter, close to stock spooling and has good street manners. I have considered a s362 and s363 non vgt as well with a smaller turbine. Only tow a flats boat currently, but don't want something that would make towing impossible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, how'd the S2R fail? I've been waiting (somewhat) patiently for them to pop back in stock so I can grab one :)

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind my asking, how'd the S2R fail? I've been waiting (somewhat) patiently for them to pop back in stock so I can grab one :)
It actually just blew an oil seal. It still performed nicely. Haven't got confirmation yet on wether it can be fixed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine failed as well and they stood behind it and gave me a stage 2 non roller bearing. As I understand it the bearing is the culprit and the seal is collateral damage. Mine ran away running on oil from the turbo... got very lucky and got it in overdrive with the tc locked and was able to stall it. If KC can find a better bearing I will definitely go back to the S2R as it was amazing right up until it wasn't!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sounds like KC's pulled them down then until they get the bearing / seal situation sorted. Makes sense, they seem to stand behind their turbos (can't say I've heard anything bad about them!) Appreciate the info.

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Hey all! Been a while since I have been on here. Help spend my money...lol. Unfortunately, I just lost my KC S2R. And yes, I have been in contact with Charlie at KC. I am sure he is going to take good care of me. I have had the turbo a year and have really enjoyed it. It spooled quick. I have replaced it with the stocker 06 while I get this sorted. I am torn with my decision. After years of listening to the whistle, and I have an open vane tune at idle, I think I am done with it. The 06 turbo noise has been kinda nice, I guess I am getting old, lol. I don't think I want a stage 2 vgt, maybe consder a 1.5, however I don't really want to sacrifice performance. I currently run 190/30 injectors and am on 3.73 gears and 35s. I would't mind a bump in HP, just want something that may be a little quiter, close to stock spooling and has good street manners. I have considered a s362 and s363 non vgt as well with a smaller turbine. Only tow a flats boat currently, but don't want something that would make towing impossible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Charlie is the guy to ask. See what he recommends as a replacement, I'm sure he's gonna treat you right.

·
Registered
190 Posts

I have done a few nonvgt kits and I will say this if you think that Vgt is loud then don’t even think about going nonvgt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charlie is the guy to ask. See what he recommends as a replacement, I'm sure he's gonna treat you right.
Yeah, I know. I am just going to send it in and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have done a few nonvgt kits and I will say this if you think that Vgt is loud then don’t even think about going nonvgt

Do tell... I got a chance to drive @junior125's truck before he went the Cummins conversion route with 175/30s and an s363, I thought it was decent. I am really enjoying the peace and quiet of the 06 turbo right now, Lol. Maybe I am getting old or need to buy a 6.7. All I know is I like no truck payment and if I get rid of the truck or not I want it dialed in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do tell... I got a chance to drive @junior125's truck before he went the Cummins conversion route with 175/30s and an s363, I thought it was decent. I am really enjoying the peace and quiet of the 06 turbo right now, Lol. Maybe I am getting old or need to buy a 6.7. All I know is I like no truck payment and if I get rid of the truck or not I want it dialed in.

They are not as loud on the bottom end but if you ever put anything behind you they are extremely loud. When I get back home I will send you a video of a bucket I just got back together that has a 363sxe on it with stock injectors with a stage 2 cam

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whats the heaviest you're going to tow Chris, no matter which direction you go, you'll still need to keep RPM's up towing
The heaviest boat I pull is about 12,000, loaded up. I rarely pull it, but have to trailer it out on occasion.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is Charlie busy? My contact with him has been spotty, hasn't responded to my email.... I just want my turbo fixed or replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope I don't come off as b*tching or bashing. Just have a very expensive paperweight on my desk at work right now with just about a year's use on it and broken, lol. My truck is a D/D, not abused and not raced. I paid good money for that turbo and expect to be taken care of, so if there is no more product support for it, I would like a solution.

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Hope I don't come off as b*tching or bashing. Just have a very expensive paperweight on my desk at work right now with just about a year's use on it and broken, lol. My truck is a D/D, not abused and not raced. I paid good money for that turbo and expect to be taken care of, so if there is no more product support for it, I would like a solution.
Charlie's always busy, don't forget it's Saturday. I'm sure he'll take care of you, KC Turbo has an excellent customer service reputation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Charlie's always busy, don't forget it's Saturday. I'm sure he'll take care of you, KC Turbo has an excellent customer service reputation.
I have absolute faith in Charlie and KC Turbos. Just give him a reasonable amount of time. Just remember you never know what another person has going on in their life. Just be patient and it will turn out ok.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has your problem been resolved?

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes and no... things are going slow on my part. We have been emailing back and forth. He has very helpful in his suggestions to me about what to run next. Leaning hard on the s362 route. My fault for not getting the turbo shipped out until yesterday. I am in season at work and my shop is slammed with work, not to mention I am in middle of a semi resto on my flats boat, which is a little higher priority :).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts