Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im getting ready to order a new compressor wheel (mine is "dusted" really bad and has several bent veins), besides the compressor wheel is there anything else I will need to order as far as gaskets etc....:dunno: Im just getting A "wicked wheel". I know it has no advantage over stock but my turbo takes FOREVER to build boost because the compressor wheel now is so magled up ( previous owner never changed air filter ). Thanks for all the help, Justin:nod:

·
Registered
573 Posts
mines the same way except it was the darn stock airfilter housing. What tools do you need to do it just unclamp the downpipe and take of the orange tube? How do you stop the turbine wheel from spinning with out jaming something between the fins?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
i saw a vid of this last week, possibly in teh tech area? dunno...

but the guy had takenthe housing off and was able to easily hold the fins with his hands and use an air impact to remove the bolt. to put the wheel back on he hand tightened it, which he said was very important (i think becuase of the fin/housing clearence?), then used the impact to torque it down, without holding it it. i think he said that was enough torque, not to worry about the specs.

might chech the 7.3 tech section, or youtube... ill try and find it again if you guys cant. hope this helps!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Took me a couple hours. i put a wicked wheel in mine also 95 psd cc, would of went a little quicker but i could not find the fourth bolt in the back drivers side, talked to a mechanic he gave me a quarter inch drive 10mm swivel socket a regular swivel and socket wouldnt work.The directions in the wicked wheel kit were also showing the turbo from a newer truck. But it went good.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Yeah I always thought the WW was for the 99-03 PSD's. They just used the stock intake wheel off of a OBS turbo, as the surge line was better. Thats what I read at least.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The hardest part of putting a new wheel on a OBS turbo is getting the last bolt that is pritty hard to get because of the valve cover and compressor housing hide it... It can be done, just bit by bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
x wheel compressor

I am considering doing the same thing. Although i had a question about the x-wheel from extreme deisel. It claims to deliver more hp than a stock wheel. Is any of that true?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts