Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
The turbo is beginning to stick on my stock 2003 6.0. I have already once cleaned the turbo and used never sieze on most surfaces to try to eliminate any possibility of it gumming up.
I am wondering if I can "power out" of this one and burn out the carbon, of if I need to pull that hog out and clean it again. It has only been roughly 3500 miles since it was last cleaned. I'd rather not to say the least.
I drive conservatively, run Rotella 15w-40, and the truck is not deleted. Further, I have the original 03 exclusive turbo oil feed and drain lines. Would changing and of these factors help prevent future issues?
Thank you.

Premium Member
What are your driving habits like? Do you sit and idle a lot? Do you take short trips?
Do you work the turbo at all to exercise the vanes?

Never putting the turbo through it's full range of motion leads to sticking vanes. I'm not talking about beating on it either...just giving it the ole "Italian tune-up" every now and again 馃榿

-jokester

Registered
I'd consider other things like the MAP pressure hose and EBP sensor tube. Those can effect VGT readings and cut boost. There's also boost pressure test kits to run compressed air into the turbo intake that will let you find any leaks.

For the AntiSeize, I always wonder what happens to it being exposed to over 1400掳 degree exhaust. It's made for places that don't get exposed to air. I don't think it would gum up, but excess would disappear.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What are your driving habits like? Do you sit and idle a lot? Do you take short trips?
Do you work the turbo at all to exercise the vanes?

Never putting the turbo through it's full range of motion leads to sticking vanes. I'm not talking about beating on it either...just giving it the ole "Italian tune-up" every now and again 馃榿

-jokester
Aah ha ha okay I see.
As of now I drive short distances and don't get up to temp. I also idle more in order to warm the truck up enough to drive. That's almost certainly why I'm a little gummed up.
Thank you

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I'd consider other things like the MAP pressure hose and EBP sensor tube. Those can effect VGT readings and cut boost. There's also boost pressure test kits to run compressed air into the turbo intake that will let you find any leaks.

For the AntiSeize, I always wonder what happens to it being exposed to over 1400掳 degree exhaust. It's made for places that don't get exposed to air. I don't think it would gum up, but excess would disappear.
I just bought a gauge so I'll check MAP. I'll also take a look at the EBPS. I am certain it is not a leak due to the truck still getting up and going very well. I only noticed this phenomenon after getting on it up a hill: as soon as I hit OD, the truck bogged and didn't build boost. Soon after the truck recovered.
I too wonder if the antisieze was beneficial...
Thank you.

Premium Member
ForScan and maybe some of the other monitor tools can "exercise" the turbo vanes by commanding them to each extreme. Short trips and extended idle can cause that buildup.

Some of the later factory tunes will "exercise" the turbo already at idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts