Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a noise under the hood that sounds like for lack of better terms the air box being opened and closed for a split second. I have noticed that the hot side turbo hose at turbo is dry rotted and cracked pretty bad. My question is how do these turbos work in relation to the hot side air flow? In other words is the air flow through the hot side continuously or does something regulate when the air flows from turbo to inter cooler? The noise I have been hearing is not constant but is more noticeable when towing 5K or so. I am trying to narrow it down and curious if this boot is what I am hearing leaking.
WR

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hmm, something like that is usually associated with valves sticking open, but it would be constant. Any power loss.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No power loss. Occasionally I hear it through the exhaust if standing behind the truck while idling. To the best of my knowledge the truck doesn't have the latest flash where the turbo veins sweep periodically at idle. When I drove it over the weekend towing my tractor it was much more prominent. Truck builds boost fine but noticed a brief drop once when it made noise is the reason I am curious if the hot air flow from turbo to cooler is constant or variable.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Exhaust flow to the turbo is free flowing, flow thru the turbo is regulated by the vanes in the turbo. Your problem may be the vanes sticking some times or it could be the pcm hunting (changeing vgt settings) due some some monitored sensor being out of range intermittantly.

Hard to say without monitoring live data and catching it in the act so to speak. Thats the problem with random symptoms ya have to catch it when it mess up to see why it is messing up. A diagnostic techs nightmare.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Maybe your egr valve is dirty?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exhaust flow to the turbo is free flowing, flow thru the turbo is regulated by the vanes in the turbo.

So the flow from turbo to inter-cooler is controlled by the vanes?

What data should I be monitoring to try and catch it in the act?

EGR is deleted.

Think I may try to get the turbo off and clean it this weekend and see if that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts