Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the WW compressor wheel will give you more whistle, but really only in the cab.
Is there any was to get more whistle out the tailpipe on a 7.3?
Can you change the turbine wheel on these stock turbos? :shrug:

·
Registered
553 Posts
dont know but heres a :bump: for ya

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another bump for this one...
Somebody's got to know the answer, I mean isn't that the difference say between an 03 6.0 turbo, and a later model 6.0 turbo? The # of vanes on the turbine wheel, right?

I've never seen a turbine wheel for sale alone, so I assume you can't buy one for the 7.3. but that would give you more whistle out of the tailpipe, right?

Anyone know?

later

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I’m not up on the 6.0 at all but I think it is completely different than the 7.3 turbo. I think it may be a variable vane style. The WW should help with surge and may whistle a little better. Mine whistles very loud, I can really hear it echoing off buildings and stuff with the passenger window down. You got it straight piped??

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i'm straight piped, and getting ready to do the WW and the ATS compressor housing.
I thought that it would only produce whistle inside the cab mostly because it is all done on the compressor side of the turbo. Do you get a lot more whistle out of the tailpipe with it??

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
I know when i straight piped mine I got alot more whistle out of the tailpipe too. Man it makes parking ramps fun:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Not really, my buddies 01 with stock turbo and my early 99 with stock turbo (early 99 came factory with wicked wheel) both whistled very similar at the tail pipe except his is straight piped and mine has the 5” exhaust system. Mine has a lot mellower tone but the whistle is similar. I think the new D-66 turbo whistles a lot louder but it may just be because I got used to the sound of the bad factory turbo after it headed south.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so can the turbine wheel be changed in a stock 7.3 turbo? I haven't had mine disected yet.
I'm already decided on the ATS +WW, I was just wondering if there was anything that could be done on that side of the turbo to affect the sound out of the tailpipe.

If there is, then i'll pull the turbo and do all that stuff together, rather than doing those 2 in the truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.