Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all new to the site and have been reading for about 4 days now and i still havnt found the answers yet to a few questions.

I race motorcycles offroad and pull a 20 ft Weekend Warrior toy hauler about 8-10k lbs just about every other weekend all over missouri and i am looking for a little more performance and efficiency from my stroker not only while towing but everyday driving as well. Anyway right now i have nothing and know i have to get guages first then exhaust and a chip. I have the AIS intake already and will be keeping it due to the dusty conditions i generally operate in on weekends.

I am getting 4" dual exhaust this weekend and i will be getting the chip/tuner and/or gauges next week. Looking at a DP tune or Juice with Attitude. My question is i am very particular about the SES. In other words i dont want to drive around with the SES light on. What do i need to do or what else would i need to have to not throw the SES light and other codes? I want to be able to drive it like its stock with the benefits of a modded truck without the SES.

I like the DP tune because of the number of tunes available as well as AWESOME FEEDBACK and i like the edge because of the monitoring capability and performance, I have also thought about the livewire to get the monitoring capability and throwing DP or TW custom tunes on it as well? Sorry for being long winded but i thought if i threw it all out there i met some good information. Let me know what you guys have?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
the chip go with Tony Wildman. DON"T worry about the SES light. it will only come on when you have it on street race and really get on it. ( or atleast for mine)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Don't get the edge what ever you do. If your truck is an automatic, you might as well be ready to put a new tranny in it if you get the edge. Edge products are well known for burning up Powerstroke Transmissions, because they have no transmission tuning.

Go with the custom burned chip from either DP Tuner, Or Tony Wildman

Here's Tony's site, in case you haven't looked at it.

http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/

Also, Raul, who is a vendor here on this site, sells Tony Wildman chips, as well as gauges, so i would send him a PM. his user name is [email protected] He should be able to set you up with a deal on gauges, or gauges and a chip if you choose to go the Tony Wildman route!!:thumb::thumb:

here's raul's website also. Stealth Automotive

He's an awesoem dude, and has customer service second to none. He can help you out with whatever you need:thumb::thumb:

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys i appreciate the info definately a chip then which i was already about 80% sure anyway, but what about the service engine soon lights with the DP or the TW chip? will those chips cause problems? I plan on calling tpd tomorrow to double check but i just wanted to get some public opinions on this is all.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Normally, the SES, only comes on for a short while after you stand on the skinny pedal for a while then goes back off. This is normally because of an overboost code but can be prevented by one of these Overboost Annihilator.
Get your guages and monitor the engine's vitals. Another vote here for getting either the DP tuner or TW chip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Love my DP F5, with my OverBoost Annihilator no codes

·
Registered
30 Posts
DP F5 all the way, great flexibility in tow and performance tunes to suit your needs. I am running without O/boost mod at present (in the mail), and only get SES if I really mash the go pedal in higher settings and boost is hitting 24-26psi.

·
Registered
511 Posts
thanks guys i appreciate the info definately a chip then which i was already about 80% sure anyway, but what about the service engine soon lights with the DP or the TW chip? will those chips cause problems? I plan on calling tpd tomorrow to double check but i just wanted to get some public opinions on this is all.
I have owned several different chip brands one being DP Tuner and I prefer Tony's programs.

Where are you in MO? There are a bunch of guys up there that you could talk to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have owned several different chip brands one being DP Tuner and I prefer Tony's programs.

Where are you in MO? There are a bunch of guys up there that you could talk to.
I'm in springfield missouri. I called fergusons diesel here in springfield and they recommended a super tuner but i wanted something to change on the fly. other than that i dont really know anyone in the truck or hot rod circles to ask, so i jumped on the forum to see what info i could dig up. I saw in your sig that your in northwest ark so i figured you gotta be fairly close. thanks for the replys guys all great info especially on the SES light thing. Thats what i wanted to know. So far i have these upgrades planned as soon as the shop can get me in;

MBRP 4" dual exhaust
Gauges and a piller (egt,tranny and boost)
and now dp tuner and boost annihilator thanks to the comments here.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I have run DP, TW, Elite, DI and TS chips...

You cant go wrong with any of them. I prefer the tranny stradigys for Jodys stuff, but Tony has some VERY strong progams... Tadd at Elite is very ballanced as well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
don't listen to some shop in town telling you to get a superchips or whatever. they only tell you that because its what they sell. A DP tuner or TW chip is your best bet. You can invest about $50 in an ITP overboost annihilator to avoid the most common SES light. Thats usually the only code set, the overboost code. Thats almost 99% of the time the reason the SES light would come on after rodding on the truck. it goes off in about 3-5minutes on its own though. It is annoying. since installing the overboost annihilator i've yet to see the SES light. There are other options to the overboost annihilator, one of which costs only about 2 bucks maybe, and thats a 4.7v zener diode. Thats about all i know about that, never done it before.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I'm in springfield missouri. I called fergusons diesel here in springfield and they recommended a super tuner but i wanted something to change on the fly. MBRP 4" dual exhaust
Gauges and a piller (egt,tranny and boost)
and now dp tuner and boost annihilator thanks to the comments here.
Ferguson, lol, the one that claimed 475 hp on a stock injectored 95 with propane, the same one that told me that modding injectors is a waste of time. Nice guy, but dang, come on.

If you want some quaility work done on the truck and don't wanna do it yourself, call BTS and talk to Cale, they will install all the stuff your wanting and Cale can burn you a chip, he is a very good programmer as well, you won't regret the trip down there........

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Tony... Got a chip I need to send to you... Give me a call back would ya!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Tony... Got a chip I need to send to you... Give me a call back would ya!!! LOL
No worries, send it with a note I'll take care of it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ferguson, lol, the one that claimed 475 hp on a stock injectored 95 with propane, the same one that told me that modding injectors is a waste of time. Nice guy, but dang, come on.

If you want some quaility work done on the truck and don't wanna do it yourself, call BTS and talk to Cale, they will install all the stuff your wanting and Cale can burn you a chip, he is a very good programmer as well, you won't regret the trip down there........
I'm about 40 miles from ferguson and it is a joke that they are all we have close. They promote the hell out of superchips!

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
F-5 tuner

Hey man,I have a DP-tuner for sale.I used it for acouple of months,and I had to get it retuned and sh... it has a arm and my left one.so I have CALES custom tunes and LOVE IT!!!but on that dp-tuner please pm me.thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
What tunes on the F-5??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts