Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't help but notice the other night that my wheel well was wet. But the tire wasn't. Kind of odd considering I live in basically a desert and it hasnt rained. Upon opening my hood I find my Coolant Resivior nearly empty. I guess that moment that I stretched her legs with the new tuner must have opened the gate for something to give up the ghost.

It only expells coolant under heavy throttle and the amount varies (I guess). It doesnt burn any white on startup. You can idle it or high idle it all day with no effects. Drives like the day it was new. And I also noticed since the tuner I only get 20PSI of boost instead of 25ish I was getting before.

Im no engineer, but I'd say my EGR has a nice hole in it. Nothing one of those fancy solution kits with a set of studs can't fix.

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Well, put the level of the coolant quarter inch below min. Get a new bottle cap. Then you might need to pressure test the cooling system during a drive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I topped it up with distilled water before I headed back to work (120km drive), it only took about a litre. Im going to flush the coolant system and put some new stuff in (not sure which) probably this week as theres a collection of different coolants in there now (Dont Ask).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I say that tuning does open a can of worms. 100%.

There is a new thread in the General section someone just posted about flushing.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Tuning will open a huge can of worms if your motor is not 100% healthy when you tune it. Most of the time the problems are already there and tuning just makes them visible.

I would agree with the above statement of new cap and PSI test before you start dumping money into it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be doing all the major upgrades to it (studs, gaskets the whole nine) over the course of the winter. The first batch is going to be an EGR delete, Oil cooler replacement probably at the end of this month, which will follow with new fluids at the time. I don't have the time to do the head studs until closer to December, and I ain't paying some shop half what I paid for the truck to do it for me. I'm contemplating pulling the engine out to do the heads as I want to change the torque converter to something a little more beefy instead of struggling with the heads under the cab.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Make sure that you flush and flush and oh yea flush BEFORE you put the new o III cooler in. Next keep your fingers crossed that it does not stop up again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts