Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be placebo, but it seems my truck runs better if I go back to stock first, then tune it. Sometimes I'll do it twice because TBC Fault will show on the dash. It's mostly just being ocd but this last time when I switched to performance tune I just went straight to it from a tow tune and my mpg was garbage (13 ish). This morning, I redid it by going stock first, then performance and my mpg jumped back up (19 ish).

My theory is, if I read the threads on this right, a tune isn't replacing all the code, it is inserting or replacing small chunks. So if you go straight from one to another, you could have unintended or conflicting code. I have no idea if this is right at all. As I said, it may just be placebo.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else experience this? Is there a BKM when it comes to tuning?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't know this to be true, but that would make sense to me as I know how lazy programers can be.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
222 Posts
It might be placebo, but it seems my truck runs better if I go back to stock first, then tune it. Sometimes I'll do it twice because TBC Fault will show on the dash. It's mostly just being ocd but this last time when I switched to performance tune I just went straight to it from a tow tune and my mpg was garbage (13 ish). This morning, I redid it by going stock first, then performance and my mpg jumped back up (19 ish).

My theory is, if I read the threads on this right, a tune isn't replacing all the code, it is inserting or replacing small chunks. So if you go straight from one to another, you could have unintended or conflicting code. I have no idea if this is right at all. As I said, it may just be placebo.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else experience this? Is there a BKM when it comes to tuning?
What tuner are you using? Custom or canned? My edge does seem to vary after switching but it may just be me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What tuner are you using? Custom or canned? My edge does seem to vary after switching but it may just be me.
I have a tow 50 tune and a Looney PCT both from quick tricks.

I also feel like the shifting tightens up when I do this as well. I was getting some lazy 3-5 shifts that were making me nervous. Redo the tune (starting with stock first) and it seems to tighten it back up. Of course, it could just be because tuning it forced the trans to relearn again...

·
Administrator
23,312 Posts
my tuning advice for the majority is find one you like and do not change it.

there are edge cases to that, but they are rare and for people willing to do damage for performance.

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
Generally speaking flash tuners can leave bits of information in the ECM on a 6.0l. I don't quite remember the proper terminology but Banks was infamous for this. their earlier flash tuners would not fully remove the programming when returning to stock or change and it would cause people to have to flash at a dealer and change tuners. Flash tuners fully download the stock file and fully replace it with a modded file though. Its just it may not always be a clean sweep. Personally leaving it on one tune longer than constantly switching is better and safer as flash tuners are very hard on ECMs. Again 90% of people wont have trouble but Banks was infamous for leaving "left overs" on PCM and ECMs. The early edge evo (looks like a gamboy) had data transfer problems doing the same thing until an update came out but by then Edge was trying to make the evo II so it wasn't a priority.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
@SCUM I 100% agree with you on going back to stock first when tuning. I have seen some turbo lag and other issues when going from 1 tune to the other without going back to stock first. In the event that something goes haywire when loading a new tune on the tuner from my laptop, I ALWAYS go back to stock first before attempting that. However, sometimes I got lazy and would swap between tunes on the truck without returning to stock. Unfortunately, it bit me a couple times and I troubleshoot a couple problems that were self induced by NOT returning to the stock tune first. So, for me from here on out, I will always return to stock before loading another tune on my truck...even if it's from the same tune writer! But, that's just my humble opinion. Other's mileage may vary... 😁

-jokester

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my tuning advice for the majority is find one you like and do not change it.

there are edge cases to that, but they are rare and for people willing to do damage for performance.
I don't disagree. For my DD, I run a performance tune. However, it's not uncommon for me to need to tow (horses, camper, wood). I always flip to my mild tow tune for that. Hence the need to flip back and forth from time to time. I'd say once or twice a month it seems.

Generally speaking flash tuners can leave bits of information in the ECM on a 6.0l. I don't quite remember the proper terminology but Banks was infamous for this.... Personally leaving it on one tune longer than constantly switching is better and safer as flash tuners are very hard on ECMs.
I have the X4 tuner. I'd never heard a tuner could be hard on the ECM. I'm aware that any flash memory has a limited number or read/writes but that limit should well outstrip the life of a vehicle.

@SCUM I 100% agree with you on going back to stock first when tuning. I have seen some turbo lag and other issues when going from 1 tune to the other without going back to stock first. In the event that something goes haywire when loading a new tune on the tuner from my laptop, I ALWAYS go back to stock first before attempting that. However, sometimes I got lazy and would swap between tunes on the truck without returning to stock. Unfortunately, it bit me a couple times and I troubleshoot a couple problems that were self induced by NOT returning to the stock tune first. So, for me from here on out, I will always return to stock before loading another tune on my truck...even if it's from the same tune writer! But, that's just my humble opinion. Other's mileage may vary... 😁

-jokester
Glad it's not just me that's seen this. The issues I've seen are subtle enough that I'm not 100% convinced but I figured it couldn't hurt. At least, I thought that was the case until @JustinOOO9 said it's hard on the ECM...

·
Administrator
23,312 Posts
Not to get off topic, have you tried towing in performance?
Under 10k I tow in my street tune, I just keep an eye on all the PIDs

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
Tuners are an aftermarket item designed to pull and replace code. Imagine a computer having its whole operating system completely downloaded off the PC, stored in an external drive and then after a week doing the process again, and then again in another couple weeks when you tow a heavy trailer, and then again when done towing the trailer. While its not exactly the same comparison wise its very similar. I should clarify... Its not going to shorten the life by say 30% or anything that drastic but without a tip top shape electrical system and near perfect tuner you always risk something not transferring right. There has been a ton of improvements with code and hardware performance in general but a lot of made in china junk too.

for the 6.0l:
make sure your batteries and electrical system are in good shape and don't change the tune multiple times a week for years and years you'll be totally fine 99% of the time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to get off topic, have you tried towing in performance?
Under 10k I tow in my street tune, I just keep an eye on all the PIDs
Nope. I've been trying to play it safe. Aside from the egts and stuff, wouldn't it also increase cylinder pressure and add risk for blown heads.... if course, mines already blown but still.

·
Administrator
23,312 Posts
Nah, increased pressure is increased boost.
I drove with blown gaskets for almost a year until I could put the truck out of service.

Its all about speed and EGTs, the other less likely concern is shift points if you have an extreme race tune.

Trust me, a tandem axle boat trailer or a 8k in ATVs inst an issue unless you are running 80mph up a grade.
Then its common sense to slow down.

Put a goose neck full of wet feed hay or a 20k camper with an UTV in the back then you will know your limits.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I was thinking the same thing and did that exact procedure until I spoke to SCT and Gearhead (only tunes I run) and they advised it was not necessary.

According to them, it was perfectly safe to go from tune to tune without ill effects.

Take it for what it is worth.

My truck lives in the unlimited tow tune from Gearhead. I used to bounce from SRL+ to tow and back between tows. Nowadays, the truck runs great in tow tune and less sh*t I have to do to drive it.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
@joe blow agreed about sticking to a tune. My truck runs so well with this new tow tune that i'm just gonna run it as a daily driver too!

-jokester

Reactions: joe blow

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@joe blow agreed about sticking to a tune. My truck runs so well with this new tow tune that i'm just gonna run it as a daily driver too!

-jokester
OK. I might bite. I'm open for trying a new tune. Jokester is recommending unlimited tow from Gearhead. What are you running?

I have the tow 50 from Quick Tunes. It's fine for towing but my mpg tanks hard when running it so not ideal for DD. The Looney PCT gives me great MPG and is just overall more enjoyable to drive. I'll try towing with it as Heavy_GD suggested but it really likes to ride high on the EGTs so I can't imagine it being easy to keep it in the safe ranges. I'm in Idaho mountains so hills are just part of the drive.

I should note, I have a FICM tuner so I'm flipping those around too. Normally I stick with the Altas 40 but when towing heavy (10-12k is heavy for me) I just put it on Economy.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
@SCUM PM sent.

-jokester

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have been loyal to the tunes I received from Gearhead for years. I had them re-written several times (for a small fee) to accommodate power additions etc.

I have run a few tunes that were given to me and they were dogsh*t.....too much boost, terrible shifts, major smoke etc and I always went back to Matt's.

He isn't the be all end all, but they work well in my truck.

Good Luck

Reactions: nine9six and bismic
1 - 18 of 18 Posts