Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do some weight reduction Soon and been looking at tuners first. I don't think I would have to buy a $1k plus Spartan tuner because I don't see what the difference in tunes could be compared to the rest out there. I originally wanted a H&S but since theyre out of business i won't be able to get updates. So I was wondering what everyone else is running for their dpf/def delete and what made you go with that brand? I heard from someone that there's a brand out there that sends free updates every month or so but they could not remember the brand.
Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Seriously? No responses?
Probably because it's been gone over and over and the responses are just like asking what is your favorite cellphone or tires.

Plus there's a sticky

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously? No responses?
Probably because it's been gone over and over and the responses are just like asking what is your favorite cellphone or tires.

Plus there's a sticky
Where's the sticky? I'm trying to find info on tuners that have trans tunes as well as deletes and it is difficult. Maybe I'm not using the site right. I am on a cell phone and have never used the site on a desktop cause I don't have one.

I'm kinda getting an idea now but I still see no mention on trans tune on any custom tune I look at.
PPEI, tyrant, proven diesel... all these tunes give is HP ratings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't worry. It was pretty confusing to me as well until I talked with the guys at No Limit and Truck Source Diesel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Reactions: HLBeef

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been reading that one for a while. Unless I missed it i don't see anything that mentions tunes that have trans tunes

With my SCT x4 and gear head tunes it also tunes the trans. Tyrant would be same way if I had them. I've seen some people say that the EZLynk WILL tune trans and I've also read that it doesn't. If I remember correctly that was for the 17's. But, that question could be answered better by who ever you decide to buy tuner/tunes from.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I need to update the stickey but it?s mostly correct still

All tuning also tunes the trans

GDP seems to have gotten more reliable but tyrant is still my go to

Pick whatever platform suits you best they all do the same thing when it boils down to it

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been reading about everything I can find on this entire Delete, Tuner, Exhaust discussion. I just purchased a 2015 F-250 with 50k and I love it. This truck replaced a 2002 F-250 7.3L that got totaled. Of course many improvements over my previous ride (which I intended to keep forever).

I think I've settled on the EZ Lynk tuner, Flo-Pro EGR Delete Kit, S&B Cold Air Intake and an MBRP 4" Downpipe Back Exhaust w/Muffler. I'm still debating between tunes with GDP and PPEI at the top of the list. As is common with a lot of subjects. There are 'Lovers' on all sides of every option.

Part of the problem is what the individual wants to accomplish. My priorities are fuel mileage and reliability. I am not looking for max power (though some increase is always welcome). I don't want a lot of smoke or noise. A good sound is fine but I do long trips and quiet is better than loud. I may be in the minority with these preferences so not as many opinions to choose from.

My greatest concern is that this not be a 'Trial and Error' exercise. That would be very expensive! I understand that the 'Perfect' choice may not be attainable. But I'd like to be in the ball park.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post valid information on these subjects (Especially the sticky by HLBeef). It has helped a great deal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a 2011 SCLB in Feb 2017 w/85k, never put DEF in it, Deleted within 1500 miles. I went with a SCT Livewire with Gearhead Tunes, I think it was a Sinister EGR delete kit, and a Diamond Eye 5" downpipe back with no muffler. If I had it to do over I would change Nothing. Have had no problems at all. Now it does growl and you can definitely here the turbo, but going down the road with the windows up and the radio on (normal volume), I hear nothing. The only thing my wife doesn't like is without all that crap the exhaust used to go through, it now smells like a diesel motor.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most everyone seems happy about the setup they installed. Tells me the industry is pretty good at meeting the customer's needs. Very impressive. Hopefully, I will be as happy with my chosen setup as you are Dave.

I am now thinking of going with an Android Tablet so I can have a dedicated instrument setup. Seems like an economical and efficient way to go.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’ll throw out someone else, proven diesel. I’d say about as close to a custom tune as you can get without a ride along. He has made numerous tweaks for me and is super responsive. Not one of the big names, I think that helps with the responsiveness. I am using ththe ez link, makes changes and data logs super easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been reading about everything I can find on this entire Delete, Tuner, Exhaust discussion. I just purchased a 2015 F-250 with 50k and I love it. This truck replaced a 2002 F-250 7.3L that got totaled. Of course many improvements over my previous ride (which I intended to keep forever).

I think I've settled on the EZ Lynk tuner, Flo-Pro EGR Delete Kit, S&B Cold Air Intake and an MBRP 4" Downpipe Back Exhaust w/Muffler. I'm still debating between tunes with GDP and PPEI at the top of the list. As is common with a lot of subjects. There are 'Lovers' on all sides of every option.

Part of the problem is what the individual wants to accomplish. My priorities are fuel mileage and reliability. I am not looking for max power (though some increase is always welcome). I don't want a lot of smoke or noise. A good sound is fine but I do long trips and quiet is better than loud. I may be in the minority with these preferences so not as many opinions to choose from.

My greatest concern is that this not be a 'Trial and Error' exercise. That would be very expensive! I understand that the 'Perfect' choice may not be attainable. But I'd like to be in the ball park.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post valid information on these subjects (Especially the sticky by HLBeef). It has helped a great deal.
BajaRon, Sounds like you're looking at the same requirements Im looking for. Want to do the DPF & EGR Delete & want to tune my truck, but Im not looking for a monster. I dont want to hot rod it. I just want it to drive well, have the power I know it should have, maybe better gas mileage, & be able to tow anything I may need. My truck had the CEL earlier this week for the "Contaminated Exhaust Fluid" so I know its time to go ahead & do the DPF delete. What Im curious about is how much do I need to upgrade? I like the EZ Lynk since I dont really want to have an extra screen on my dash. I have an Android Auto headunit & Im hoping I can install it on that through my phone. Im not really sure which tunes I need since Im primarily looking for the delete tunes & some power/mpg increase without having a "race truck". Do I really need to upgrade to a Cold Air Intake right now if Im not looking to increase my HP significantly? I e-mailed a few questions to both No Limit & Diesel Power Products earlier this week & havent gotten a reply from either. Seems like if Im planning on potentially spending a couple thousand dollars with them, they could respond & help me answer these questions I have so I cant make the best decision. We'll see if I get a response next week from either so I can get this ball rolling. I dont want my truck to enter into Limp mode before I get all of this figured out! I went ahead & ordered myself some Kroil penetration stuff so I can get my EGR bolts cleaned up & ready when I do make the plunge. Now if I can just find some more information on which tunes I should go with, should I do an EGR Delete or just the block off plates, should I go ahead & do the cold air intake now or can I get away with doing it later. Once you guys get your stuff done, post some updates on how it went. Id love to hear. Until its my turn, I'll keep reading & researching.

·
Registered
188 Posts
BajaRon, Sounds like you're looking at the same requirements Im looking for. Want to do the DPF & EGR Delete & want to tune my truck, but Im not looking for a monster. I dont want to hot rod it. I just want it to drive well, have the power I know it should have, maybe better gas mileage, & be able to tow anything I may need. My truck had the CEL earlier this week for the "Contaminated Exhaust Fluid" so I know its time to go ahead & do the DPF delete. What Im curious about is how much do I need to upgrade? I like the EZ Lynk since I dont really want to have an extra screen on my dash. I have an Android Auto headunit & Im hoping I can install it on that through my phone. Im not really sure which tunes I need since Im primarily looking for the delete tunes & some power/mpg increase without having a "race truck". Do I really need to upgrade to a Cold Air Intake right now if Im not looking to increase my HP significantly? I e-mailed a few questions to both No Limit & Diesel Power Products earlier this week & havent gotten a reply from either. Seems like if Im planning on potentially spending a couple thousand dollars with them, they could respond & help me answer these questions I have so I cant make the best decision. We'll see if I get a response next week from either so I can get this ball rolling. I dont want my truck to enter into Limp mode before I get all of this figured out! I went ahead & ordered myself some Kroil penetration stuff so I can get my EGR bolts cleaned up & ready when I do make the plunge. Now if I can just find some more information on which tunes I should go with, should I do an EGR Delete or just the block off plates, should I go ahead & do the cold air intake now or can I get away with doing it later. Once you guys get your stuff done, post some updates on how it went. Id love to hear. Until its my turn, I'll keep reading & researching.
My goals are the same as yours and BajaRon's. I want a reliable truck, I don't want an extra screen on my dash and I want everything to look as stock as possible. I called No Limit this past week to order all my parts and I had a few questions about the tunes and EGR plates. After being asked if I can use the internet, I was put on hold for 6+ minutes so I hung up out of frustration. I called Alligator Performance who answered my quick questions, took my order, and sent the parts within 5 minutes.

I ordered the EZ-lynk, PPEI tunes, SOTF switch, Flo Pro stainless race pipe and EGR block off. I'm not using max power so I'm not getting a cold air intake. I like the block off plates for now because I don't want to mess with the coolant if I don't have to. Maybe I'll remove the EGR down the road if I need to, but for now it seems plates are fine.

The race pipe has already been delivered and the tuner should be here Wednesday. I'll install everything this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now that I've read a little more into the EZ Lynk, I think Im having to change my setup. I may have to go with an external display afterall. I run a pioneer head unit with Android Auto. My phone is connected to my HU for full control. I have tried to find a way to take an app (EZ Lynk Auto Agent) & broadcast it to my head unit through Android Auto. Doesnt seem possible. The only way it may work is if I screen mirror my phone to my headunit which I can do using Miracast. Only problem, miracast connects to your phone via a wifi network. From what I read, the EZ Lynk also connects to your phone via a wifi network. I cant connect my phone to 2 different wifi networks at the same time. Also, when my phone is connected to my android auto, I cant use it through the phone, only via the head unit & voice. So I wouldnt even be able to see my phone to see the EZ Lynk App. Scratch that plan.
So instead now Im looking at the SCT GTX loaded with Tyrant tunes. Seems to be pretty good. Also the GTX will clear my TPMS system for the tire pressure. Ive got 2 sensors that are dead so I cant get that error off of my screen unless I buy new sensors & get them installed. If the GTX fixes that problem then theres more money saved. Im thinking the GTX with Tyrant Tunes & No Limit EGR Block off plates along with the S&B Cold Air Intake. Now to just decide on the exhaust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I run ezlink and a separate dedicated tablet; I have apple car play on th pioneer (sure miss the droid). Screen display on the phone is to small either way. I have began monitoring less; probably never needed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts