Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 02 excursion with the Banks Power Pak system: big intercooler, big head WA, Banks brake, monster exhaust, ottomind chip and a couple other small things. From what I understand, it’s about a 100hp system. That being said, it’s still a little sluggish for my liking. My question is, can I run an OBDII tuner with the system? The ottomind chip is in the pcm and I’d like to leave it in, but would it even be okay to run another tuner since the ottomind changes the engine calibration itself? If so what would be a good option to go with?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
No these aren’t like a cummins you can’t stack chips or tunes, once you plug in another tuner or “reflash” a tune it will over ride what’s on there now, if your looking for better performance get with @[email protected] and get a hydra and get some tunes from different tuners when I had my 01 I really liked SKD’s tunes but PHP and gearhead are also good

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
You actually CAN stack chips on the 99-2003 7.3l but it has to be certain combinations of older programmers for it to work correctly. It would be best to sell the banks ottomind chip/programmer and find one that has much better tunes. A dp tuner or php hydra will has unbelievably different files for shifting and power while being safer than off the shelf flash programmers and chips.

·
Registered
70 Posts
...once you plug in another tuner or “reflash” a tune it will over ride what’s on there now,
This is actually kind of backwards. A chip that is plugged on the pcm itself will override anything else. So by having that chip on there, you will only get inputs from it. You can use a flash tuner all you want, but it will just be in the background to the chip until the chip is removed.

Best Advice: remove and/or sell the Ottomind and get a Hydra. You will get a laundry list of tunes already written by PHP that you are free to try. There were over 20 different ones for my pcm code. If you want custom and then want those updated, all the tuner has to do is email you the files and you upload it using your laptop while chip is still installed. It is so easy and literally takes a couple minutes at most and then you are back on the road trying new tunes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, that was my plan if not able to. Pull the ottomind and put in a hydra. I had the edge revolver in another truck but it was too big of a pain to pull the whole chip and send out every time I needed to have new tunes. Thanks for the advice guys, helped a lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts