Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone

I have a 06 F350 SD. So far I've done a Airaid Air Filter, Blue Spring Update, Straight through stock exhaust and that's all I plan on doing. I don't pull or use the truck for work, it has the stock egr and oil cooler and no head studs. Is there any tuner I can buy that will be safe to use to get some more mpg and some extra hp? A friend told me a superchips cortex on towing tune would be safe but anyone else can confirm this or any other tuners that will work? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
By all means the SCT with a custom tune is the BEST way to go with a 6.0. However, I ran a Superchip for months with no problems before switching to the SCT. I personally think you will be fine with the Superchip if your just wanting some gain and not all out power. I did notice a mpg increase with the Superchip over stock along with power. I know there are going to be people on here that will tell you the Superchip doesn't tune the transmission for the extra power, but it DOES. When you load the Superchip it loads a ECM tune and a TCM tune. If you can get a real good deal on the Superchip then go for it. But if your paying full price then you may as well get an SCT and custom tune the truck. Someone could write you an economy tune and get more mpg than the Superchip. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I would get some gauges so you can monitor your coolant/oil deltas.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
First step is a monitoring solution (check link in sig), no point in adding power to the truck, when it needs something else addressed.

As for tuning, lots of folks running SCT custom tuning on stock bolts with little additional risk, as long as they aren't beating on the truck. I recommend staying with street level files, or performance files tuned down for stock bolts. Tuner is up to you, do some research here and find out which features you like.

Any questions, just ask

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Like said already, if you go the sct route, tell the tuner you have bolts and not studs. The higher hp files will give better mileage to a point. I noticed a drop after trying the srl++, x race compared to the regular srl file I had. Averaged 17 overall, and after the stud job and trying the new files I dropped to around 16 overall, but had a little more oomph.

Or you can kill 2 birds with one stone and get an evolution cs or cts and have power hungry performance write some tunes for it. That way you have the monitor and the tunes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
^^^makes a good point on the cts. Not a bad idea. I went with the SCT. They tuned my 03 F-150 FX4 SC when I put a supercharger on it and did a good job. I like the SCT, even though you cannot switch power levels on the fly, its the safest bet to the most power for your stock bolts and lowest EGT's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 04 is non studded and I run extreme street tune from innovative my truck and I both love it. Talk to them and they will hook u up right. Also Sct's customer service is 2nd to none

1 - 8 of 8 Posts