Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking to get some info on finding the right tuner...

I've done some research and it seems the SCT is the most popular...

I'm basically looking for something to increase MPG day to day, and occasionally some fun. A friend of mine claimed 5mpg increase with his 7.3 - is that possible with the 6.0? I know every truck is different, especially on what people claim.... however, I don't do much towing right now.

I have stock tranny/boost gauges - are these deemed unreliable while playing with tuners?

Truck is stock for now. I realize that studs and other mods are kind of a "must have" while playing with this stuff...

Just trying to get the best info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Go with the Sct Xcal3 custom tuned by Eric, or Dj you will yield the best MPG with Erics Exteme Street tune shifting is flawless, power is always there, oh yeah an you burp put a nice cloud of smoke..Havent had a chane to run DJ's lonney but its also a great file from what I have read here. Im from the Philly area as well you have any other questions I will try to point you in the right direction.....

·
Banned
0 Posts
I doubt your friend had a 5MPG increase on just a chip.....

the first thing i would do would be to go down to Ford and buy a bottle of thier cetane booster. One bottle treats 120 gallons of fuel and is $6......it will make sure your fuel is optimal and could give you a mile or two per gallon if the fuel in your area has a low cetane level....

Next.....get exhaust, gauges, and the SCT. A 1-3 MPG gain is about what to expect IF....and i do say IF...you can keep your right foot off of the floorboard:woot::hehe: Honestly i dont think your gonna fine a huge economy difference from tuner to tuner with the SCT:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
best way to get more MPG, keep the right foot out of it, but then that isnt too fun.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I find the Xtreme race tune to be the best economy. I can actually do as well with abusing the race tune as I do babying it on any other tune. I would say as much a a 1.5 mpg gain with the race tune. Even more on highway driving. As stated previously the hardest part is not abusing the power.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have both DJ's and Eric's tunes. I see the best mileage on DJ's eco tune. Extreme street gets me high 17s to 18s on the highway at 73 or so. DJ's eco gives me around 20.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I get 15mpg flat no matter what tune, no matter where I'm driving, doesn't matter at all...

I was told this before I purchased my tuner with high hopes of 2-4mpg increase with the economy tune.... "Never mod for economy... mod for power, and if you get some economy out of it in the end, be happy" I mod for power now and dont bother recording MPG's anymore. However when I first got my SCT, I still get the same mileage driving like an a-hole on extreme street as I do with economy going down the highway at 70, and I cant complain about that!

·
Registered
813 Posts
i am not knocking sct (i plan on buying an x3 within a month myself)but, i have seen a few threads where i believe hypermax was praised for economy. i saw no gain on any setting with the 160 quadzilla. couldnt stay out of the go pedal.i agree with md707 tune for power and you will gain economy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts