Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2004 F-250 last September and as I was replacing the oil cooler, I noticed the EGR cooler had been deleted and the EGR valve was removed. This got me wondering why didn't my check engine light ever come on. I scanned the truck with Torque Pro and an OBDII adapter, it showed the standard "P0405 EGR sensor "A" circuit low", but no check engine light.

My question is: Does this mean my truck has a non-factory tune? It does feel rather peppy and makes over 30 lbs of boost easily, when the cac boots aren't blowing off.

ForScan shows my PCM strategy to be: VXBC9N2

I forgot to mention that no matter how many times I delete the KAM and make the tranny re-learn shift points, it always shifts hard like it has a ton of pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
Most likely it's tuned based on your description. However, an EGR delete will not necessarily show a CEL on an '04 even on stock tuning.

If you're "easily" getting over 30 psi of boost and the shifts are solid, it's "probably" tuned. Did you ask the P.O.?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the truck from a local dealer who only knew about things he had fixed on it, body damage, and an injector.

I think I will eventually buy a low horse power tune just so I know for sure, it doesn't look to have been studded.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You may not be able to add a tune as it will more than likely prompt that the vehicle is already married to a tuner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would I need the dealership to re flash it before adding a tuner?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Not necessarily. I’m speaking of the x4 tuner in this case. Whatever tune is currently on the truck will be saved as the “stock tune”, whether it truly is the stock file or something different.
In my case the truck had a tow tune. Not sure who’s tune it was, but it was hotter than the canned tow tune on the x4. I didn’t bother asking the p.o. because I was told the truck had the EGR cooler and oil cooler replaced, when in fact the cooler was deleted, so any information I didn’t trust.
After calling a few dealerships on reflashing the pcm, I got quotes from a couple hundred dollars up to replacing the pcm—nobody guaranteed the reflashes to work.
I called some tuning companies and finally found one that sold me a custom tune—nothing more than the stock file with egr delete and tire size for $25. That’s primarily what I run since I don’t like seeing 12 psi just going down the highway, and it’s enough for my needs.

The short answer is buy a tuner and run with it. Don’t wear heavy shoes until you get studded though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not necessarily. I’m speaking of the x4 tuner in this case. Whatever tune is currently on the truck will be saved as the “stock tune”, whether it truly is the stock file or something different.

In my case the truck had a tow tune. Not sure who’s tune it was, but it was hotter than the canned tow tune on the x4. I didn’t bother asking the p.o. because I was told the truck had the EGR cooler and oil cooler replaced, when in fact the cooler was deleted, so any information I didn’t trust.

After calling a few dealerships on reflashing the pcm, I got quotes from a couple hundred dollars up to replacing the pcm—nobody guaranteed the reflashes to work.

I called some tuning companies and finally found one that sold me a custom tune—nothing more than the stock file with egr delete and tire size for $25. That’s primarily what I run since I don’t like seeing 12 psi just going down the highway, and it’s enough for my needs.

The short answer is buy a tuner and run with it. Don’t wear heavy shoes until you get studded though.
Humm so whats would normal psi be going down highway say at 65mph .

Thanks

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Cruise set at 70 is 5-6 psi IIRC straight and level. One thing I noticed is that these trucks (or at least mine) don’t really show a vacuum at a no throttle condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read that the egr valve helps create a vacuum to pull exhaust gasses into the intake, mines been deleted so I wonder if that's why my vacuum pump rattles like hell at idle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know there were slight differences between the 04 and the 05 and up trucks but my 05 with the TSD SPD tune and a KC stage 2 turbo just cruising down the highway would hang around 8-10 psi of boost. Maybe there is a difference since I had the big turbo but I usually would only see that more boost than that if I was trying or pulling and then I had there tow tune on it.

OP I would highly recommend Truck Source Diesel for your tunes. There has been very little if any complaints on their tuning. I held off for awhile getting their tunes because everyone was saying how great they were and after loading them in the truck I wish I would have gotten theirs from the get go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts