Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who have their TPMS light constantly on because of aftermarket tires and wish to blow it to smithereens, I have a thought.

We all know installing the sensors in the spare tire or PVC pipe will not work because they need to rotate for activation. What if we made a small PVC pipe, installed the sensor in the pressurized pipe then attached the pipe to the tire band inside the tire? Would balancing the wheel be a problem because of the extra weight? Oh maybe the learning tool/fob would not work because the sensor is obscured? Can radio frequency pass though plastic?

·
Registered
725 Posts
The easiest solution (what I did for the yellow light) is tear the cluster apart and remove the LED light on the board. As far as the message just hit reset. As far as the PVC can in your Wheel you will never get that thing balanced correctly and you will most likely have a horrible wheel wobble. Yes the sensor can pass through plastic and the rubber it worked for a while in my spare tire.

List of things that I tried before coming to my final solution:

• Talking to the Dealer about lowering the pressure (Wont do it b/c of Fed Regulations BS)... FAIL
  • Using the sensors from another Ford car/ truck with lower pressure.... FAIL
  • Install the sensors in the spare tire..... FAIL
  • Installing the sensors in a tube pressurized to set PSI.... FAIL
  • Waiting on a Tuner Company to come out with a solution... FAIL

For those of you who have their TPMS light constantly on because of aftermarket tires and wish to blow it to smithereens, I have a thought.

We all know installing the sensors in the spare tire or PVC pipe will not work because they need to rotate for activation. What if we made a small PVC pipe, installed the sensor in the pressurized pipe then attached the pipe to the tire band inside the tire? Would balancing the wheel be a problem because of the extra weight? Oh maybe the learning tool/fob would not work because the sensor is obscured? Can radio frequency pass though plastic?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The easiest solution (what I did for the yellow light) is tear the cluster apart and remove the LED light on the board. As far as the message just hit reset. As far as the PVC can in your Wheel you will never get that thing balanced correctly and you will most likely have a horrible wheel wobble. Yes the sensor can pass through plastic and the rubber it worked for a while in my spare tire.

List of things that I tried before coming to my final solution:

• Talking to the Dealer about lowering the pressure (Wont do it b/c of Fed Regulations BS)... FAIL
  • Using the sensors from another Ford car/ truck with lower pressure.... FAIL
  • Install the sensors in the spare tire..... FAIL
  • Installing the sensors in a tube pressurized to set PSI.... FAIL
  • Waiting on a Tuner Company to come out with a solution... FAIL
Yep I feel you on all of those fails...I beat my head against the wall on my wifes Ford Edge when I put 22's on it..tried all kinds of stuff that never worked, I bought the factory ford bands and installed the sensors in there the right way..and they have worked great since then, although I would like to lower the tire pressure a bit, but I cant unless I want to look at a low tire light..last I heard Eric @ IDP was working on this..

·
Registered
342 Posts
DINOONE Can you post the specific sensor that you tried. Another member had luck with sensor #6F2Z1A189A. It is used in a fusion, etc. I found a local wholesaler who can get me a whole kit around 200 with new bands etc. I might try this when i put my lift on in a few weeks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I tried the Fusion, Edge, and Focus. Neither of them worked for me I have $400 worth of sensors still sitting in my garage.

DINOONE Can you post the specific sensor that you tried. Another member had luck with sensor #6F2Z1A189A. It is used in a fusion, etc. I found a local wholesaler who can get me a whole kit around 200 with new bands etc. I might try this when i put my lift on in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The problem isn't the sensors, it's the computer. The sensors only relay the current pressure, if the computer determines the pressure reported by any of the sensors is out of range, it turns on the TPMS light and message.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Correct and the only people that can lower the computer pressure is the Dealer and thier gonna tell you because of "Fed Regualtions unless the system is damaged they cannot work on it!"

The problem isn't the sensors, it's the computer. The sensors only relay the current pressure, if the computer determines the pressure reported by any of the sensors is out of range, it turns on the TPMS light and message.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had this problem back in January...I work in a tire shop tho so I had some resources. I got 20 inch bands and reused my sensors (marking the position of the sensor from where I got it, like left rear and inside and outside) in my new tires. Haven't had a problem since then. That's the most logical way to go I think. It was like $20 for the bands and it's a really simple install.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Correct and the only people that can lower the computer pressure is the Dealer and thier gonna tell you because of "Fed Regualtions unless the system is damaged they cannot work on it!"
Exactly correct.

I still think it would be better for the dealer (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, etc..) to change it and have control over it then to let millions of drivers drive around with larger tires without a clue as to whether they have the right PSI in them or not. Sure, I can get out of the truck, and check the PSI myself to see if the tires are properly inflated. But not everyone does that and as such, they could potentially be an accident waiting to happen because they are driving around on improperly inflated tires.

Wouldn't it be better to make the system at least usable rather then just say, "Sorry, we can't touch it."

Just don't get it. :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
So your Running 70 psi in your 33" Toyo M/T?

I had this problem back in January...I work in a tire shop tho so I had some resources. I got 20 inch bands and reused my sensors (marking the position of the sensor from where I got it, like left rear and inside and outside) in my new tires. Haven't had a problem since then. That's the most logical way to go I think. It was like $20 for the bands and it's a really simple install.

·
Banned
203 Posts
I bought new bands and just made sure I bought a tire that had a top PSI rating of 80. Then I run them at 65 psi to keep the sensors happy. It sucks but its the only way for it work right now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i run 60psi in my 305 55 20 toyo A/Ts, i've ran a little lower but i think it trips at about 55psi so the light would come on now and again.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
CM, what are the tires actually rated for?

·
Registered
74 Posts
65psi i think. its say the factory tires are supposed to have 75 in them inside the door.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been running 55 psi in my Toyo's and I'm not getting the light. Any lower than that and it goes off. On cold mornings it will go off but go away once i heat the tires up. Not really much of a problem here in south florida.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thats what mine does but it takes several miles before it ever goes back off, so i just try and keep it above it a bit. i wish i had a 10" wide wheel and it wouldn't really be a problem, the tires are kinda ballon'd out on 9" ones

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My tires are rated for 50 PSI, so I get the light all the time. I looked your tires up, they are rated for 65 PSI. Have you noticed any bad wear patterns from running them lower?

Florida, what about your tires? Also rated for 65 or other?

·
Registered
162 Posts
My tires are rated for 50 PSI, so I get the light all the time. I looked your tires up, they are rated for 65 PSI. Have you noticed any bad wear patterns from running them lower?

Florida, what about your tires? Also rated for 65 or other?
Mine are rated for 65 on the sidewall, but I don't run them at that, 55 will keep the TPMS off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
they seem to be wearing in the middle of the tire a little bit more, but i keep them rotated and the weight of the engine up front seems to even them back out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts