Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so we got a 1992 F250 with the 7.3L IDI non-turbo 4x4 and a manual 5sdp. Now that you guys know what I'm working with....can a guy turbo it without distroying the engine? How easy is it, what all will I need to buy/fabricate, and what kind of boost do you think it would suck back? I heard that if you can't really get it to take more than about 9 or 10psi?!
Give me your thoughts guys!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
bumped.........

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
ive seen one with a roots blower on it an it was bad ***!

·
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....
9,603 Posts
yeah you should be able to turbo it no prob. My pops has a 94 (pre powerstroke) that came from the factory with and ATS designed turbo system that was spring operated waste gate. He had his pushin 16 psi with 200K+ miles before he bought my old powerstroke. I'm not sure what you would need to do the job but I know it is possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha...yeah I figured it would go like a raped ape! But we were toying with the idea and trying to see how easy and cheap we could do it. We still use the truck lots so if there was a kit we could do it over the weekend...but lots of custom work might not be so good! The other option I had in mind was just straight out swapping for the newer Turbo Powerstroke! But then again, the truck is out of commision for a while... we shall see!! haha
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
pirate the exhaust manifolds up pipes and turbo off a powerstroke... ive never heard of it done but id think it would work? might have to make a custom down pipe for it tho and the stock powerstroke turbo might have a little to much boost for the idi

·
Registered
601 Posts
banks, ats, and hypermax all make a turbo kit for them

·
Banned
0 Posts
they were netorious for burning down the #7 cylender with an aftermarket turbo on them though....they have a little too much compression to safely put a turbo on them and not worry...but a lot of guys have done it and never had a problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem with our IDI's is cavitation caused by high cylinder pressure of a diesel, the thin cylinder walls of the 7.3's vs a 6.9, and improper coolant maintenance. The 7 and 8 cylinders are first to go because they are farthest from the coolant system. All of the above mentioned companies sell turbo's for these trucks, but do not forget you will need a pyrometer gauge, and make sure your injections are up to spec. Old injectors pop-off at a lower pressure, advancing your timing, which may go unnoticed, until the added strain of a turbo is put on. This can cause pre-ingnition, high cylinder pressure, and blow thru a thinned sleeve... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool! Thanks for your help guys. We're still toying with the idea and as soon as I mentioned putting a blower on it, everyone here popped wood I think! haha. I'll check out some of those aftermarker turbos, and I might look into some heavier duty cooling systems too! I'll let you guys know what I find or if we decide anything!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put a Banks sidewinder kit on mine last sat. and left pulling a 10'000 lb camper to the mountains on sun. It made all the diff. in the world it's like I was driving a diff. truck untill the tranny (E40D) told on me half way there so now that is new too. The kit comes with the ram air intake, wastegatted turbo, full Monster exhaust, and trans command unit (if you have an auto). You will not have to go buy anything else to install it (unless you don't have a socket to remove the oil sending unit) and I did it in a day and a half.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Ok you have attention, Who makes a blower for the 6.9?
the one a saw was actualy a blower off a big block chevy that the guy had to fabricate an intake manifold to make it work :rolleyes: hence my lots of fab work coment... it would be an awesome setup with a custom made set of full length headers and dual stacks :clap:

I saw it @ a show and shine in a small town up here and the guy was kinda stuck up and didnt really want to answer any of my questions about it other than it was a BB cheby blower :( sorry i dont know much more about the fab

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the ebay!
I think the turbo has been put to the back burner for a while as everyone here seems to be getting swamped with work...ugh
But I've been looking at the Hypermax Pulse Turbo System along with one of their intercoolers. I did look at the Banks Sidwinder kit but I'm thinking that the best bang for your buck is still the Hypermax.
Hopefully life gets a bit less hectic here soon, and I'll keep all you guys posted on when we do it and what we use!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
turbo upgrade

https://www.atsdiesel.com/PDF/7.3-WG-Ford-Turbo-System-Install.pdf here is the instructions on installing a turbo on a non turbo. And here is a website called partstrain it sells the kit, PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Turbo Kit For 1992 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat 8 Cyl 7.3L, it is a banks diesel package you can try to find it somewhere else maybe for cheaper i dont know or maybe try banks themselves good luck and let me know how it goes i am going to do it myself have a good one. James

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
You could also talk to Fordguy100. He turbo'd his 6.9L with an Aurora kit from ATS. He's been through it all getting his truck running right.:thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts