Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 position chip that I am putting in my PS. I have cleaned the contacts several times, but the truck will not fire, it just spins. I can't figure out how to get the computer out to make sure the connections are really clean.

Anyone have any suggestions? Can you take out the computer easily?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have everything loose, but I cannot get it out through the firewall. Does it have some kind of metal cage around it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Best way to pull the computer is thru the engine bay, you'll have to move the plastic wheel well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Once i got it disconnected i just worked it out. You gotta put some pressure on it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I will wrestle with it some more in the morning.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright experts, I am stumped. I got the computer out, cleaned the contacts really well with electrical connection cleaner, and still it won't start.

I did notice that the "wait to start" light is not coming on when the chip is in. The truck will start fine when the chip is out.

I tried calling TSP, but they are closed on weekends. I guess no one would need technical advice on a saturday...
:(

Any thoughts?

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
If your not getting a wait to start light with it plugged in then it is somehow disabling your PCM. No wait to start light is a dead give away that your PCM is not working!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great. It is supposed to have a kill setting. I tried it without the knob plugged in and the same thing happend.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Great. It is supposed to have a kill setting. I tried it without the knob plugged in and the same thing happend.
Without the switch plugged in, some chips default to the "kill" setting.

The truck will still start without the chip on the PCM right?

Take some rubbin alcohol or something that won't leave a film behind and clean the contacts. Try to start the truck with the switch in various settings.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not at all familiar with your particular chip so this may be a totally ignorant, stupid question, but are you by chance installing the chip backwards. Don't know if it's possible with yours, but it is with mine! (don't ask me how I know this)

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
I'm not at all familiar with your particular chip so this may be a totally ignorant, stupid question, but are you by chance installing the chip backwards. Don't know if it's possible with yours, but it is with mine! (don't ask me how I know this)
On my PCM, there's only one way to fit the chip onto it. You either have it on, or you don't. Think the TS chip will be the same way on his.

Pretty sure it's a switch or cleanliness thing. One or the other is your problem bro...

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
If its on position 0 its on the kill setting if you have one. plug the switch in and change positions

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I have tried different positions and it seems to do the same thing. I will try again. It will only go in one way, so at least I can't mess that up.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Thanks guys. I have tried different positions and it seems to do the same thing. I will try again. It will only go in one way, so at least I can't mess that up.
I can not stress enough how important it is to use some sort of cleaner on those contacts.

Make sure it's a cleaner that won't leave a residue behind.

Rubbin alcohol works great.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Previous to my Edge Evo, I had a TS6 flip chip on mine, and when i bought it, the guys i got it from said it came off a superduty series powerstroke and that it had to be reburned for the obs. im not sure if they were jackin me around on it or not but was curious to see if yours is new, or what it came off of. just a suggestion. good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Sounds like the chip isn't burnt for your PCM code.

A chip that is burnt for a superduty will not work in an OBS and vice versa. Just call TS in the morning and let them know the issue they will get you taken care of, no worries.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Without the switch plugged in, some chips default to the "kill" setting.

The truck will still start without the chip on the PCM right?

Take some rubbin alcohol or something that won't leave a film behind and clean the contacts. Try to start the truck with the switch in various settings.

This feature is only available on a DP-Tuner Ex and Gauge switcher. :thumb:

Our rotary style knob does not have the position 0 feature. It is for this reason Jody will not put a no start program on our chip with the rotary style knob.

Diane

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I ran into the same problem, every time I install it, no WTS light and it just turns over. I had to remove the ECM, take the six screws out of it so I could access the board. I cleaned the crap out of them with fine sandpaper and rubbing alcohol, then I busted out the soldering iron and built up the contact pads on each side. The chip fit really tight on there with that extra solder but it worked. The power is awesome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts